It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

sassysaralouise HB User
Radioactive Pill & cancer of the kidney

I have graves disease and twice took radioactve pills, and sorry to say Im 4 months post op after having my left kidney removed due to renal cell carcinoma {kidney cancer}, so there very well be a connection, but that being said I was also injecting Humaria for RA, which also has cases of Kidney cancer after use?? so I cant say which is the culprit, I do pride myself of living a clean life, and have no family history of Kidney cancer, I have 8 siblings, so I beleive it something? I did?, Im waiting for my first post op MRI to check the RT Kidney for cancer, which is standard every 6 months for the next 2 years. Im a bundle of nerves!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Radioactive Pill & cancer of the kidney

When you have cancer, you really want to find the reason, unfortunately, most of the time (not all the time), it just happens, it's not anything you did, just a terrible thing. It's possible with the RAI, but less likely because you likely had a super low dose, particularly if it were for graves disease---if it were for thyroid cancer, it may be more likely? Who knows what causes anything, it's hard to find. I hope you heal and are cancer free soon!

It's strange that you posted this though, my friend just found out he may have lymphoma---he was on humera for many years--and didn't know it's a "side effect".....sounds like a very dangerous drug....

Anything can come from anything, as I learned from my mom's and then my cancer---nothing you can do at this point other than to do your treatments and get better---I wish you the best of health in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
sassysaralouise (10-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
(female)

sassysaralouise HB User

Thanks for the kind words, you are right. Humaria as far as Im concerned is a very dangerous drug, I wish I never used it. Didnt even do much for my RA, this is one of those meds that they are learning the terriable side effects as more people take it and are on it longer. It should never have been put on the market until they figured out ALL the terriable side effects, in a 12 year period they changed the black box warning over 20 times to include more and more of the awful side effects there were coming about from using this medicine. so sad as it people who are paying the price. My thoughts are with your friend, when I started it too, there were no cancer warnings, but now.... its all over even in the commercials. scary stuff!

The following user gives a hug of support to sassysaralouise:
midwest1 (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Just want to pass on my good wishes for your speedy and full recovery.

As absurd as it sounds, the FDA now allows drug companies to do their own "research" to submit for new drug approval. Can you imagine!? By the time people are harmed and the lawsuits start flying, the companies have made millions/billions and moved on to develop the next "breakthrough" that will perpetuate the cycle. There is a new diabetes drug on the market with a black box warning saying it causes thyroid cancer. Not that it "can", but that it "does"! It's beyond belief.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
sassysaralouise (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
(female)

sassysaralouise HB User

We have all now become unknowing test subjects for major drug companies, it really is so sad that these drugs out there being used before the manufacturers even know all the side effects, its cruel!

Reply Reply