It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

cynindc HB User
Question Synthroid and LEG SWELLING

Hi everyone,

I know this has been brought up in the past, but I've never seen anyone post when or if they found out what was causing or how they solved their edema relating to or caused by Synthroid.

Almost immediately after taking Synthroid, my legs swelled up like balloons from my knees to my ankles and have stayed that way since. They are not painful, but are VERY noticeable. Wearing anything other than flip-flops is challenging. I have been to my PCP MANY times and all she does is give me prescriptions for LASIK and tell me that I'm either drinking too much water or eating too much salt. I also went to my Endo who sent me for a leg scan to test for blood clots (negative), chest x-ray (clear), multiple blood tests (nothing unusual according to her), and so she just upped my LASIK and added Potassium -- NOTHING HAS WORKED! The swelling has not gone down AT ALL! And this has been going on since August!!! I have just learned to "live with it," until I can get in to see a "holistic doctor" in November, but in the meantime, I occasionally search the internet and although I've seen people with this same issue / question, I never see them post a follow-up.

Has anyone dealt with this and had it "go away"? Has anyone switched from Synthroid to Armour and found the leg swelling improve?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cyndi

Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Synthroid and LEG SWELLING

I've seen the problem reported with some regularity, but have no personal experience. I have also seen anecdotal reports that switching brands can help... That it happens mostly with Synthroid specifically.

I would ask for a brand change before trying anything else. If it were me, I'd try Unithroid next, then Levoxyl if need be. Generic would be my last choice, and only then if I could be assured of getting the same company's generic at each refill.

Armour or other brand of dessicated thyroid is always a good option. There's no guarantee it would solve the problem, but it certainly might. The issue with dessicated is that most MDs won't prescribe it at all or don't know how to dose it correctly. If your doctor is willing, that might be a good next step instead of changing levothyroxine brands.

Hope something will work for you!

Last edited by midwest1; 10-25-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply