It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
(male)

Jinxie73 HB User
TSH dropping - Hypo and Hyper symptoms??

Hi All,

First post.

I have been battling various symptoms over the past few years. I am 39/M 5'10" 200lbs. I am probably 15lbs overweight, but I am not a big eater. I have also been more watchful of what I eat. Fast food used to be a common outlet for lunches, but in the past 4 months I have probably only been 4 times. I have also cut down softdrinks from an avergae of 2 cans a day to maybe 1 can a week. I have lost about 5 lbs in 4 months. I thought it should be more.
I also have noticed shortness of breath in the last year. I used to run up to my office on the second story 2 steps at a time.....and could do this 3,4,5 times a day. Now, I walk up the stairs 1 step at a time and feel winded. I had a lung test done and the results came back normal. Because of my family history, they looked into heart issues. They performed an angiogram and found a couple of arteries at 30% blocked and 1 at 50% blocked. The cardiologist was not concerned that this was causing any immediate health issues...ie shortness of breath. He obviuosly pointed out dietary change and exercise. My family doctor has insisted on blood pressure meds (125/82 - 135/86 would be my normal range) and cholestorol drugs (hdl=1.3, ldl=3.4, fasting 5.4, triglycerides=1.5 mmol/L)

I have a number of other issues that I have researched to be both hyper and hypo symptoms. They are

Lightheaded/brain fog
nausea
intolerance to cold
blurred vision/floaters/double vision/often tunnel vision
fatigue/tired
lack concentration
loss of interest in activities
unsociable
excessive sweating
heat intolerance
burning soles of feet/painful anxles
constipation
forgetfulness
aching muscles/joints without overuse/sore jaw
anxiety
high cholestorol
hoarse voice/tough swallowing (large pills get stuck)
itchy on jawline/hives

The above symptoms come and go. They do not appear all the time, but several are present within a day or within a week.
I keep complaining to my doc that something is not right. He only investigates TSH and FT4. My results are

Dec/11
TSH - 1.72

Jan/12
TSH - 1.9
FT4 - 15

Mar/12
TSH - 1.41
FT4 - 13.8

July/12
TSH - 1.7
FT4 - 12.8

Sept/12
TSH - .83
FT4 - 13.5

Should I be concerned with the drop in TSH levels?
What tests should I push for? I can tell something is just not balanced right in my body because I can have a good day and think....oh right...this is how I am supposed to feel. Although those days are becoming fewer and fewer........

I have had a lot of bloodwork done in the last year. Rather than posting all results....if there is something I should look into let me know and I can see if I have been tested. Been to the hospital probably 6x's in last year and a half for chest pain/panic attacks....which developed out of the blue.

I have 6" of my large intestine removed because of misdiagnosed diverticulitis when I was 26. Yes, young, but left side abdominal pain points to diverticulits. After days of pain, fever, vomiting, etc if perforated and emergency surgery performed. I mention this because if you think of a diagnosis for my symptoms, but figure I am too young or rare for my gender.....it should still be investigated...I seem to be an exception to the rule!

Thanks for your replies. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User
Re: TSH dropping - Hypo and Hyper symptoms??

Greetings fellow Canadian.
Your TSH variation is relatively small and could easily be within the range of natural daily ups and downs. Same for FT4. Your FT4 readings are middle of the road normal. You should get more definitive regarding thyroid - insist on getting FT3 test and possibly other tests. Your best bet is to always go to the lab for blood tests at the same time of day - that way readings will be consistent - unless the thyroid has a problem.

See the posts on this board 10-29-2012 under "What do I have??? grayday104, (2 pages) for a discussion of tests to get.

Palpitations and rapid heart beat/tachycardia can be a symptoms of hypothyroid. I think it is a possibility that your blood pressure and cholesterol drugs are creating problems, and if you were slightly hypothyroid that would make it worse. I was on Lipitor (a statin) for cholesterol for a long time until I got muscle pains - then I started researching statins. The number one side effect of statins is muscle pain. There are a whole lot of other side effects - it would make your hair curl. I threw the Lipitor in the garbage -but I do not have partially blocked arteries. It took 9-10 weeks for muscle pains to go away.

You need to find a doctor who practises "integrative medicine" to help put it all together (look it up).

Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to telus For This Useful Post:
Jinxie73 (10-31-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
(male)

Jinxie73 HB User
Re: TSH dropping - Hypo and Hyper symptoms??

Thanks for the reply
I should mention that I have NOT started either the cholesterol or bp pills. There are too many health risks associated with them.

Reply Reply