It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
(female)

Karia93 HB User
Hypothyroidism and Getting Pregnant

I'm currently 19 years old. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 5 1/2 years ago. My husband and I are trying to get pregnant. We tried twice one day right after the other thinking that it might heighten the chance for me to get pregnant. I took a pregnancy test and it came up negative. Could it be something wrong with me where I have the thyroid problem?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
(female)

frisson HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism and Getting Pregnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karia93 View Post
I'm currently 19 years old. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 5 1/2 years ago. My husband and I are trying to get pregnant. We tried twice one day right after the other thinking that it might heighten the chance for me to get pregnant. I took a pregnancy test and it came up negative. Could it be something wrong with me where I have the thyroid problem?
Have you only been trying to get pregnant for a month? If so I wouldn't worry about lack of getting pregnant, all of my aunts have hypothyroidism and got pregnant just fine. What you need to worry about is verifying with your doctor that your thyroid levels are well controlled before you get pregnant. There are a lot of bad things that can happen to the developing fetus if you have uncontrolled hypothyroid symptoms, just type it into google and you will find a bunch of resources. You only said you were hypo for 5 1/2 years, not whether it was controlled or not.

If you are really worried about it have your doctor check your female hormone levels to see if you are ovulating, although most doctors don't check for infertility issues until it has been at least a year that you have been trying to conceive.

You might want to consider researching pregnancy as well, just because you copulated two days in a row doesn't mean you did it at the right time. If you are ovulating the window is not open for very long. You could try charting your BBT (basal body temp) for the next month while TTC and see when your temperature shifts indicating whether or not you are ovulating.

-- infertility is listed as a symptom of hypothyroidism, but my original point still remains that it is the stability of your levels that you need to concern yourself with more instead of getting pregnant. If your levels are not stable than you can in fact have infertility as symptom. If your levels are stable and you do not have hypo symptoms right now, then read more about how to conceive. Some people just have to try harder than others, but the best way is to know when you are ovulating and then copulate during that window.

Last edited by frisson; 11-03-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: missing word and spelling.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frisson For This Useful Post:
Karia93 (11-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

Karia93 HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism and Getting Pregnant

Thanks you for posting. I was really afraid that it was something wrong with me. The last time that I had my thyroid checked my doctor stated that it was controlled/leveled out. And true we've only been trying for a little over a month. I was taking birth control but I went off of it. I've been off of it for right at 2 months. I'm new to these kind of things so I really wasn't sure if it was my thyroid or if it was where the birth control may have not been out of my system yet. I'm not really sure how long to wait being off birth control before trying to get pregnant. My mother has Endometriosis and supposedly had only 1% chance of getting pregnant and now I have a 14 month old brother. So, I got to thinking that hypothyroidism isn't like Endometroisis but that if she got pregnant that I might be able to as well. I know that my great grandmother, she has hypothyroidism and it prevented her from having babies as well as where she had cancer. But like I said, i'm really unsure of how long you should be off you're birth control before trying to get pregnant. And just to make sure that I'm right if I want to check my ovulation I just need to get an ovulation predictor. What do you mean chart my basal body temp? I've never heard of that before. Sorry I'm asking so many questions. I'm just new to all of this and I haven't had any medical practice.
I appreciate you're advice. There's one thing that i'm going to make sure of is that my thyroid levels are controlled and steadied. Just in case I do get pregnant, I don't want to run the risk of hurting the baby.

Reply Reply