It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
(female)

saphi HB User
Lab results - help!

10 + years ago I was diagnosed as Hyperthyroid and was medicated accordingly. After a couple of years things seemed to settle down and I stopped medications. No issues until this past couple of years. I now have most of the symptoms of Hypothyroid and a lot of weight gain but my doctor does not subscribe to the view that different thyroid levels suit different people. She did however agree to run lab tests and prescribe Levothyroxine on a trial basis. 50mcg daily. I do feel slightly better than I did but now my doctor has asked to see me next week to discuss my lab results. I feel certain she will take me of the medication. Below are my lab results and it would be good to get some other input. I am particularly concerned about the antibody levels!

ENDOCRINOLOGY
THYROID PROFILE 2
TOTAL THYROXINE(T4) 113 nmol/L Range 59 - 154
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 1.38 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.2
FREE THYROXINE 14.8 pmol/l 12.0 - 22.0
FREE T3 4.7 pmol/L 3.1 - 6.8

IMMUNOLOGY
THYROID ANTIBODIES
Thyroglobulin Antibody *811.7 IU/mL 0-115(Negative)
Method used for Anti-Tg: Roche Modular
Thyroid Microsomal Ab (Conf) Positive - Titre of 1 in 1600

The only other medication I am currently taking is HRT and I am based in the UK.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Talking Re: Lab results - help!

ENDOCRINOLOGY
THYROID PROFILE 2

IMMUNOLOGY
THYROID ANTIBODIES
Thyroid Microsomal Ab (Conf) Positive

Hi saphi, :)
Your levothroxine is barely @ therapeutic level. He may increase your medicine. And your TSH which is your pituitary telling your thyroid to send out thyroxine is on the low
side of normal. Free thyroxin is in therapeutic range, i think this is the thyroid hormone
that is in blood available for use. Free T3 is the same as free thyroxine in the values
available Thyroglobulin carries T3&T4 to be used by body. The antibodies: The Roche
test for thyroglobulin antibody gives a range that shows that you are not negative but positive. Idk what this means.but you are clearly positive for this antibody. There are
different combos of thyroid medicine. AH! I found my old paperwork from my dr, endocrinologist. T3 & T4 are released from your thyroid go bind to proteins in your blood.Thyroglobulin is made by thyroid.bvTo the best of my understanding TSH being on
the low normal side makes the T3 & T4 higher. Antibodies elevated indicates a goiter in my case. I had ultrasound & a nuclear test & the dr said I had a mild goiter & changed my mediicine to synthroid. I know this is not much help but it is what happened to me.

Last edited by gmak; 11-10-2012 at 04:58 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
saphi (11-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Rhoda452 HB User
Re: Lab results - help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
ENDOCRINOLOGY
THYROID PROFILE 2

IMMUNOLOGY
THYROID ANTIBODIES
Thyroid Microsomal Ab (Conf) Positive

Hi saphi,
Your levothroxine is barely @ therapeutic level. He may increase your medicine. And your TSH which is your pituitary telling your thyroid to send out thyroxine is on the low
side of normal. Free thyroxin is in therapeutic range, i think this is the thyroid hormone
that is in blood available for use. Free T3 is the same as free thyroxine in the values
available. Question, what picks up the free hormones,idk. Now, the antibodies: The Roche

test for thyroglobulin antibody gives a range that shows that you are not negative but positive. Idk what this means.but you are clearly positive for this antibody. There are different combos of thyroid medicine. Clearly, he will change your med. Antibody means
that you have antibodies built up to some antigen. What antigen? Idk. But, with your med
it makes thyroid hormone within therapeutic levelsin your blood but your free hormone is not being used by your thyroid. Its floating around in your blood. Maybe the antibody has
something to do with it. I wouldnt be too worried. Imo, this indicates a med change. Thank you,saphi God bless you, miss! Ps i would curtsy but im too rusty!lol ppss i would love to live there hence the joke. Beg my husband weekly!
Thanks for your reply!!!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Saphi did you see my edited post? Found letter from my endo. Just my understanding, but, when i saw my lab values they looked similar & he gave info about the test he was ordering. U/S of thyroid & radioactive nuclear test that showed mild goiter, from low thyroid so he gave me synthroid 175 or .175 mg. Thank you, saphi

Old 11-11-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
(female)

saphi HB User

Hi Gmak. Thanks for your reply. A lady with a sense of humour too! I have already had a u/s test and have no goitre. Apparently I do have a 'calcified parathyroid gland' but am told that is not a particular problem. To get my doctor to treat my symptoms with any degree of seriousness and agree to triall meds involved quite a heated discussion. Based on my lab results is it worth progressing this line of reasoning or insisting on a referral to endo? Cold and wet here

Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphi View Post
Hi Gmak. Thanks for your reply. A lady with a sense of humour too! I have already had a u/s test and have no goitre. Apparently I do have a 'calcified parathyroid gland' but am told that is not a particular problem. To get my doctor to treat my symptoms with any degree of seriousness and agree to triall meds involved quite a heated discussion. Based on my lab results is it worth progressing this line of reasoning or insisting on a referral to endo? Cold and wet here
Hi saphi, its 80 derees, 85% humidity, windy in houston this sunday afternoon in november. Normal for here. We wear flip flops, sandals 9 months out of year. Good thing, my back is a piece of garbage & closed in shoes hurt my feet so much because of the nerve pain from my back. Sounds very complicated, your endocrine system. Im very good about ovaries, maybe pituitary,thyroid, adrenals even less. But, if it gets too hairy i cant figure it out. Teach me what you know. I hope that you get it straightened out & feel better! Thank you, saphi

Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
Hi saphi, its 80 derees, 85% humidity, windy in houston this sunday afternoon in november. Normal for here. We wear flip flops, sandals 9 months out of year. Good thing, my back is a piece of garbage & closed in shoes hurt my feet so much because of the nerve pain from my back. Sounds very complicated, your endocrine system. Im very good about ovaries, maybe pituitary,thyroid, adrenals even less. But, if it gets too hairy i cant figure it out. Teach me what you know. I hope that you get it straightened out & feel better! Thank you, saphi
Hi saphi, im sorry that i didnt answer your question! Yes, it is worth another discussion to get a referral to endocrinologist if you have to have a referral before you can actually see an endocrinologist. IMHO, you feel bad, you need to get to the root of this to see if the problem can be remedied. Feeling good is the goal, yes? Keep posting updates. God bless you, saphi

Last edited by gmak; 11-12-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typos

Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
(female)

saphi HB User

Hi there. I have had some updated results. What do they mean? Are they an improvement or are they worse?

TSH <0.03 range 0.35 - 5.0
Free T4 17.0 range 9 - 24

Oct'12
TSH 1.5 ranges as above
Free T4 14.8

Thanks
Saphi

Last edited by saphi; 01-03-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes and no. There is an improvement in your T4 level, however we can not see what your t3 levels are doing, you really need to fight to get a FT3 test run in addition to the FT4 tests.

I know in England it is difficult. You may want to post a new thread "How do I get my T3 levels tested in the UK?" It seems to be a fight to get an MD willing to run the test and get the full picture.

There are many facets to your thyroid function and hormonal health. Conversion of T4 to T3 is an important part and can point toward other issues such as adrenal deficiency,reverse T3 conversion issues and more...

Are you on any t3 or t2 supplementation?
It helps when you post thyroid medication you are taking with your results...

Assuming you are just on a T4 supplement like Synthroid...
Your TSH indicates possible higher than optimal T3 to accompany your 53% of normal range T4 levels.

Optimal levels my MD goes by are 60-80% of normal range for both T4 and T3 for women of childbearing years. Post menopausal 40-60% is the range aimed for...

What is your optimal? I do not know.. Nor does the lab work or your MD, but your body knows. My MD aims for the optimal range and works with my symptom log. I am optimal in the 75-80% or normal range, why? That is when I have NO symptoms! It took a long time to find my MD, I would pay out of pocket to keep seeing her if she suddenly fell off my insurance plan.

I only hope you find the same relationship with a thyroid savvy MD across the pond over there...

Best Regards,
MG

Reply Reply

Tags
hypo thyroid, lab results, thyroid