It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
(female)

multiplesmomma HB User
Thyroid & Breast Feeding

Hi,

I am currently breast feeding twins who are 3 months old. I was on 88mcg of Synthroid while pregnant and we have been monitoring my levels since delivery. I was decreased to 75mcg when my TSH had dropped to 0.1, but a recent check shows that my TSH is now 0.01 after 6 weeks on the 75mcg. My doctor has recommended that I stop the medication all together and recheck my TSH in 6 weeks. I know that having levels too high (hypothyroid) can cause problems in milk supply and I desperately do not want to lose my milk supply that I have worked so hard to get high enough to support two babies. I am wondering if it would be better to decrease Synthroid to 25mcg and/or recheck in 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks. Has anyone had experience or knowledge of managing a situation like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Thyroid & Breast Feeding

It would be better if your MD understood that your free levels of T4 and T3 are the ones that are most reliably accurate. TSH meanders around too much, especially when all other hormone levels are flucuating all over the place postpartum.

You must know exactly where your free T levels stand. If they are not excessive, your Synthroid dose should not be adjusted. Period. If you have no other signs/symptoms of overmedication, tell your MD to prove that you need a dose reduction by testing your free T levels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply