It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
(female)

CaliDreaming01 HB User
TSH .55 + hyper symptoms: Should I see an endo?

I have been trying to conceive for over a year now. My acupuncturist alerted me that many of the symptoms I had suggested I had hyperthyroidism--including scanty periods, heart palpitations, increased appetite, frequent bowel movements, etc. I also am prone to getting large ovarian cysts, which I have read is often associated with thyroid disease.
Another reason I am concerned is that my mother also had a goiter removed when she was in her early to mid thirties.

I went to a RE for a fertility workup, which included tests for TSH and thyroid antibodies. My TSH ended up being 0.55, which my RE thought was just fine. She did not tell me what the results of the antibody test was. I did not get any tests for T3 or T4 levels. My other hormones are normal so she wants to proceed with fertility drugs.

I am going to take the fertility drugs, but I am still extremely concerned about the results of my thyroid testing. I still feel that something is not quite right with me. Although the fertility drugs may work, I still am worried that the root cause of my problem is hyperthyroidism due to my symptoms and family history.

With these results, is it worth it for me to go to an endocrinologist or will they just brush me off since my TSH is in normal range?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: TSH .55 + hyper symptoms: Should I see an endo?

There's really no predicting what an endo will do in your case. They brush off hypothyroid symptoms and borderline results for that all the time, but they generally pay a little more attention to possible hyperthyroidism.

Personally, I wouldn't want to enter into a pregnancy until the matter is decided. It would complicate things and wouldn't be good either for you or a baby to enter the process while hyperthyroid.

You must have additional tests and not judge everything by TSH alone. You must have free T4 and free T3 levels run. It's vital to have thyroid antibodies done, too... TSI, TPO, and Tg, all three. Pregnancy can stir up antibody activity, and there you'd be with trouble on your hands right when you need it least.

I'm not a doctor. Don't take my word as gospel. You may not be hyperthyroid at all; but if you are, you should think hard about proceeding with the plan until it's sorted out.

Best of luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

CaliDreaming01 HB User

Thanks so much midwest! Your post was really helpful. The most confusing thing to me about thyroid issues has been how much emphasis to place on TSH and now I feel more confident in inquiring further about it.

I went ahead and paid for another lab out of pocket to test for TSH and Free T3 and Free T4 and I will try to get the results of the antibody testing from my RE. After I get the results I'll be in a better position to figure out what to do.

It's a shame that patients have to go through all of this to get a thorough diagnosis.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
(female)

Hebby HB User

My TSH was the same as yours after I had my son last year. I can tell you that it made me feel very anxious! I had an ultrasound of my thyroid and they discovered a multi-nodular goitre. I too am in my mid thirties, and had part of my thyroid removed. You may consider having an ultrasound of your thyroid done.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
(female)

CaliDreaming01 HB User

Hebby, that's really interesting. I also gave birth 1.5 years ago. I had been having symptoms of hyperthyroidism for years, but they seemed to get much more severe in the months after I gave birth. Acupuncture helped somewhat but I'm still having some. What were your Free T3 and Free T4 levels?

Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
(female)

Hebby HB User

They still have not tested my T3 or T4 levels. I have had a horrible time dealing with doctors this year. I am thinking about going to an Endo, but after reading some post about them, I'm kinda skeptical. My thyroid levels always tested "normal". After I had my son, I started having severe anxiety attacks and palpatations. My family doc thought it was due to the baby and gave me anti depressants. I had a swelling in the middle of my neck and another to the right side of my neck. I felt like I was choking, and when I swallowed I could feel this clicking. I went to an ENT that told me nothing was wrong, that if there were something in my neck he would know it. I was beyond frustrated. I felt horrible. I was seeing a surgeon for my gallbladder and by chance asked him to feel my neck and to get his opinion. He sent me for my ultrasound. Thats when they found both my nodules. Both were 2 cm. My Thyroglossal Duct Cyst was 3 cm in the middle of my throat and had thyroid tissue inside of it as well. I have a hard time trusting docs now.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
(female)

CaliDreaming01 HB User

Hebby. I hear you about not having blind faith in doctors. The doctor may have the medical knowledge, but they can't know what is going on with your body. I do follow doctor's orders in most cases, but if I feel something is not right, I definitely do my own research and shop around.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
(female)

CaliDreaming01 HB User

Well my new results are in and my Free T3 and Free T4 are well within normal limits so in this case the doc was right. I'm glad I went through this process so now I can look to other reasons for my infertility and other symptoms.

Reply Reply

Tags
cyst, hyperthyroid