It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
(female)

Russelltribe HB User
Question Thyroid goiter very large and concerned help explain

Hello , I am a 39 yr old woman that had a ultra sound due to enlarged goiter. Although I am very concerned after being sent to a endo and going over the results with him.
Right lobe measures 6.0 x 2.5 x 2.7 cm left lobe 5.5 x 2.7 x 2.8 cm . The thyroid isthmus 1.3 cm ,they thyroid parenchymal echotexture is heterogeneous, vascular flow within the bilateral lobes is within normal limits and symmetric on color doppler.

A heterogeneous nodule measuring 1.8 x 1.0 x 1.5 cm upper pole right lobe. Another nodule 1.4 x 1.6 x 1.5 cm lower right pole. A 5 mm hypoechoic structure with apparent posterior acoustic enhancement , lower pole left thyroid lobe.
Please explain this to me and if i should be concerned like my endo doctor is . Hes sending me for a FNA right away. thank you

Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Thyroid goiter very large and concerned help explain

I'm unskilled at reading these kinds of reports. But from what I can tell, your thyroid gland is abnormally huge, with very large nodules that have the potential to be cancerous.

I don't want to unduly influence your decision; but if it were me, I'd be strongly considering just having the entire thing removed. It's so large that it might soon be constricting your airway or even start growing downward into your chest. The very large nodules will be hard to thoroughly evaluate by FNA, because there could be cancerous cells missed in the tiny cell sample obtained.

I'm a genuine surgery wimp, but in this same situation, I'd just want the source of trouble gone. I hope you can arrive at the very best solution for you.
Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
Russelltribe (11-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

fallin apart HB Userfallin apart HB Userfallin apart HB User

So sorry you are going through this!
I too had what they thought was a goiter but when it doubled in size in a year, I sent myself to the endo to have the fine needle biopsy done. If memory serves me, my nodual was a little over 2 cm. The endo told me basically the same thing the poster above said. With such a large area, it is possible to get a negative when actually there are some cancer cells.
I opted to be aggressive with treatment and had that side of my thyroid taken out. It was a personal decision, and one I thought long and hard about. But everyone's situation is different.
Go and see the endo!
I personally think it is great your general doc is sending you for an expert opinion. I know it is impossible to not worry, but, try to do something nice for yourself to make you feel better while you wait for your results.

The Following User Says Thank You to fallin apart For This Useful Post:
Russelltribe (11-18-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

alliecat6 HB User

I have similiar results from an ultrasound. Thyroid measurements just a little larger - right 7x2.5x2 and left 7x3.2x2.7. And three large nodules. The primary on the left side measures 4.5x3.2x2.7 which is complex well defined and echogenic, and two on right, one measures 2.2x1.4. There is hypervascularity which suggests an underlying thyroiditis but lab work all came back normal.
Had a thyroid scan which showed cold nodules
Went to see an ENT who did a FNA. FNA interpreted a benign follicular nodule. Doc wanted to watch and wait. I want it out. Been a month since I have seen him. Continue to constantly be clearing my throat like there is something there. Wasn't keen on the fact that he went blindly into a partially cystic nodule to gain a sample instead of using an ultasound to guide him and get a decent sample. Am considering getting a second opinion.
Don't settle until you feel confident and comfortable with the answers you get.
Good luck!

Reply Reply

Tags
nodule growing, thyroid biopsy, thyroid cancer, ultra sound