It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
(female)

JPMyra HB User
MS/HypoThyroid

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2.5 years ago, not satisfied with doctors so I am going to be self medicating once my meds come in from Thailand. I am concerned though. I thought I may have MS and brought it up to the doctor so when I had an MRI I asked them to check it out but I never got results and I suspect then never check. Well anyways about 2 years ago I started doing what my husband called the 'two step' I would loose my balance slightly to the left side. This would occur maybe every week or so. Now it is happening daily sometimes a few times, where now my daughters are noticing it. ANyone have an opinion on this??

Thanks, Myra in NH

Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
(female)

newparkie HB User
Re: MS/HypoThyroid

Good Morning JPMyra,

I am concerned that you have similar symptoms as I have had for several years. Could you tell me what medication you are starting on soon? For a long time, I strongly thought that I had MS and did not know enough about Parkinson's Disease to know what my symptoms were really about. Finally, a visit to my sister, whom I had not seen in about a year, revealed something she noticed that was very different in my facial expression. When she commented on my 'zoning out look on my face' she said "what is wrong with you-are you zoning out or not listening to our conversation?" That was the turning point that confirmed my own growing suspicions. That night I looked to the web to find more info about PD. I went to my doctor and asked about this-could I have PD? She said no because I was too young. We argued about this and I told her I have a very strong feeling about this and she then gave me samples of Mirapex in different strengths and told me how to take this and increase gradually. After the strength increased over the next couple weeks, I felt like I had a new body!!! So many years of doctors thinking this was all in my head and not taking me seriously.
So, what do you think about this-please look into Parkinson's and I will be looking forward to hearing from you asap. Have a blessed day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
(female)

JPMyra HB User

I am going to be still on my armour thyroid medication its just that my doctors dont seem to understand hypothyroidism so they will only prescribe synthroid which is a T4 only med and it is regulated by doctors and pharmacies so they all make a pretty penny. With Natural Dessicated Tyroid Medication which has all the T's in in you dont need these people so they dont make anymoney and therefore want you on synthroid so we have to self medicate.

I will look into PD and get back to you. What is really making me reconsider this Thyroid disease is this 'two stepping.' And how it has really gotten worse over a short period of time. I also read this morning that if you have hypo or lupus the chances of MS can occur. So I guess I need to check in this....Thank you, Myra

Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
(female)

JPMyra HB User

It warrants a talk with my doctor, I looked up the symptoms, and a couple of them fall into this category too so I will talk to my doctor on Monday. Thank you!

Myra

Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

"Two-stepping" as you describe it would not be a thyroid symptom. From the little I know about MS, I'm pretty sure it's probably that.

If you aren't happy with your doctor's treatment of your hypothyroidism, it would be much smarter to change doctors than to DIY it. You will be in danger of stroke or heart attack if you don't do this right. I never recommend self-treatment for that reason.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
(female)

JPMyra HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
"Two-stepping" as you describe it would not be a thyroid symptom. From the little I know about MS, I'm pretty sure it's probably that.

If you aren't happy with your doctor's treatment of your hypothyroidism, it would be much smarter to change doctors than to DIY it. You will be in danger of stroke or heart attack if you don't do this right. I never recommend self-treatment for that reason.

I have gone through several doctors and they are ignorant to the proper testng of hypothyroidism so I am taking the same meds I only have to get them from someone else because she wont prescribe them. I believe MS too.

Myra

Reply Reply