It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

StacyA HB User
Unhappy Are beta blockers supposed to allieviate all cardiac related symptoms?

Ive been on it over a week and it definitely helps the racing heart but I notice I still experience the bounding pulse and pounding heart, especially when I lay down, and especially if I lay on my left side. Also the shortness of breath is still bad when I bend over or exert myself. Do the beta blockers generally help with these things? I know I may need a higher dose as I am only on 10 mg of propanolol 3x. But the doctor I saw today seems to think these uncomfortable symptoms should be allieviated by a beta blocker along with the racing heart, and she made me nervous that only the racing heart symptom was addressed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
(female)

alliebeth88 HB User
Re: Are beta blockers supposed to allieviate all cardiac related symptoms?

Well, the dosing depends on what you're on it for, exactly.

For thyroid storm (unlabeled usage), dosing is recommended to be Oral, 60-80 mg every 4 hours.

For thyrotoxicosis (also unlabeled, probably what you are using it for?) Oral, 10-40 mg/dose every 6-8 hours.

So, at 10 mg 3x/day you are on the low end. You could probably ask for a dose hike, but realize that the shortness of breath is a side effect of non-selective beta blockers such as propranolol.

The Following User Says Thank You to alliebeth88 For This Useful Post:
StacyA (11-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
(female)

StacyA HB User
Re: Are beta blockers supposed to allieviate all cardiac related symptoms?

I dont think the shortnes of breath is from the pills, cause it started weeks before when my thyroid got wacky...

I upped it to 4 x per day. Does anyone here take an increase strictly before bed? Like If I take 10 mg 3 x per day and up it to 20 just before bed to possibly let me sleep without the pounding? I am going to ask dr tomorrow, but wondering if anyone else does this.

Reply Reply