It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

UNKNOWN0 HB User
thyroid nodules

hi,

I have enlarged thyroid glands since i was little (when i was still in 6th grade), and now I am 31 years old. I never have nodules until last year, we found a 2mm nodule on my left lobe, and this year, there's a new 6mm well circumscribed hypoechoic isthmus nodule. my lab works are normal ( i had hypo and hyper before, one of the docs said i had grave disease but i got recovered, haven't have any problem with the lab works since, and that's about 4 years ago) Can a nodule grow so quickly, appear within a year? The doc said we will repeat ultrasound in 6 months, if it gets bigger, we will do biopsy. I called him back to see if there's any reason we shouldn't do the biopsy now, he said no. So it's up to me again, to see if i should do the biopsy..... is there any drawback that we shouldn't do it? how accurate is the FNB? since i have thyroid since i was young.. does it mean that eventually i will need to take the thyroid out? any of you have similar experience? sorry for so many questions... thank you in advance for any feedback and advise and happy thanksgiving!

-----------------------------------------------------
my ultrasound report:

Right Lobe: 6cm x 3cm x 1.3cm with a heterogenous echo pattern, slight increased vascularity; No nodule.

Left Lobe: 6cm x 2cm x 1.3cm with a heterogenous echo pattern, slight increase in vascularity. one 2mm nodule, uncharged from last year.

Isthmus: a 6mm well circumscribed hypoechoic nodule, not noted previously.

Impression: new 6mm well circumscribed hypoechoic isthmus nodule, not noted previously; 6 month followup is recommended to confirm stability.
Stable left lobe 2mm nodule
Mild increased in thyroid vascularity, this can be seen in nonspecific inflammatory processes
No adjacent adanopathy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
(female)

thyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB User
Re: thyroid nodules

Hi there, sorry you are dealing with this but you get used to it in time. I believe many people go their whole lives with nodules and never need tt. I've known about my nodules for 13 years, 1 is 2cm, others 8mm-1.5cm. I have at least 8 in all. Last ultrasound used all the buzz words, calcification, solid, hypoechoic etc but docs not least bit concerned. Sorry i can't tell you more, guess they're so common most docs disregard until major issues with them. Wishing you the best and hope you have a good, caring doc.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

The size of your nodules may be a bit small for a needle biopsy. Nodules can come and go if benign.

You should get full thyroid blood work, tsh, free t4, free t3, and antibodies (particularly graves, I think tsi) and then see if there's room to see if thyroid hormone might help suppress the growth of this thyroid and nodules.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
(female)

Askalice HB User

My brother and sister have nodules bigger than mine (1mm) and have had needle biopsies. No cancer, they just have to keep an eye on them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Askalice For This Useful Post:
UNKNOWN0 (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
(female)

UNKNOWN0 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyroidmess View Post
Hi there, sorry you are dealing with this but you get used to it in time. I believe many people go their whole lives with nodules and never need tt. I've known about my nodules for 13 years, 1 is 2cm, others 8mm-1.5cm. I have at least 8 in all. Last ultrasound used all the buzz words, calcification, solid, hypoechoic etc but docs not least bit concerned. Sorry i can't tell you more, guess they're so common most docs disregard until major issues with them. Wishing you the best and hope you have a good, caring doc.
thank you for your comment, sorry to hear about your sufferings too.. what is tt? have you biopsied your nodules? i don't know how accurate is the needle biopsy, if it's not very accurate, why bother with the testing... how often do you do altrasound?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
(female)

UNKNOWN0 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
The size of your nodules may be a bit small for a needle biopsy. Nodules can come and go if benign.

You should get full thyroid blood work, tsh, free t4, free t3, and antibodies (particularly graves, I think tsi) and then see if there's room to see if thyroid hormone might help suppress the growth of this thyroid and nodules.

hi, thanks for your comment. i've done the blood work, the lab results are normal. do nodules really come and go? i thought they will always stay. i was hoping the 2mm nodule i had last year would disappear on this report too.......but here comes another one, triple the size.. -__-

it's kinda ironic to see statistics saying there's very little chance of the nodules being cancerous, but it's still 10%, it's still somewhat high, isn't it? oh wells, i don't know what to do at the moment. do you know what it means when the report says i have increased vascularity?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
(female)

UNKNOWN0 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post

hi, thanks for your comment. i've done the blood work, the lab results are normal. do nodules really come and go? i thought they will always stay. i was hoping the 2mm nodule i had last year would disappear on this report too.......but here comes another one, triple the size.. -__-

it's kinda ironic to see statistics saying there's very little chance of the nodules being cancerous, but it's still 10%, it's still somewhat high, isn't it? oh well, i don't know what to do at the moment. do you know what it means when the report says i have increased vascularity?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
(female)

thyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB User

TT is a total thyroidectomy. Some also just have 1 lobe removed. Both my lobes are full of nodules. I've had an ultrasound every 6 years since I learned about nodules. 1 biopsy of 1 nodule in 2000, inconclusive because of insufficient cells but thought to be benign so docs haven't been concerned since. I guess I don't have Graves or Hashi's so unknown cause of nodules. Hope you can get all the appropriate tests and put your mind at ease, or if need be, treatment.

Reply Reply