It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User
Unhappy Lump in neck... Absolutely terrified!!! Please help

Hi everyone. I am a healthy fit 28 year old female and yesterday I discovered a lump in my neck next to my Adam's apple. It's noticeable and moves when I swallow. I'm on vacation for thanksgiving at my moms house but I'm going to a quick care today just to speak with a doctor. I am so anxiety ridden. I've cried like 5 times and I'm expecting the worst. Can anyone help calm me down and give me some words of hope? Or if someone has had something similar... Im going absolutely crazy

Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Lump in neck.. Absolutely terrified!!! Please help

"Next to my adam's apple" doesn't necessarily mean thyroid. The thyroid lobes are often lower in the neck. If it is your thyroid it is likely nothing to be worried about. It could be an enlarged thyroid lobe, or a thyroid nodule, and if it were this is nothing deadly or to be terrified of.

Enjoy your vacation, and go to the doctor afterward----the doctor can send you for an ultrasound if necessary-----nothing scarey-----no use to worry about something you can't do anything about, it doesn't sound like an emergency or anything related, so have fun now......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
"Next to my adam's apple" doesn't necessarily mean thyroid. The thyroid lobes are often lower in the neck. If it is your thyroid it is likely nothing to be worried about. It could be an enlarged thyroid lobe, or a thyroid nodule, and if it were this is nothing deadly or to be terrified of.

Enjoy your vacation, and go to the doctor afterward----the doctor can send you for an ultrasound if necessary-----nothing scarey-----no use to worry about something you can't do anything about, it doesn't sound like an emergency or anything related, so have fun now......

The doctor at the quick care said its not urgent.. But I should definitely have an ultrasound done when I get home. He offered for me to get all the work up done at the er today since I was so visibly anxious but when he said that I've probably had this for a few months and its not urgent I decided to wait till I get home. I'm still super scared ... I hope that I don't have cancer. I told him about my dads lymphoma and he checked my armpits and groin for anything and luckily there was nothing.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User

He also said he does believe its in my thyroid too.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
(male)

RandomUserAZ HB User

I was recently diagnosed with an enlarged thyroid as well and was equally anxious.

If it helps, I was told that the incidence of thyroid cancer is on the order of 1-2%. Also, in the rare case that it is cancer, it is easily treatable.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUserAZ View Post
I was recently diagnosed with an enlarged thyroid as well and was equally anxious.

If it helps, I was told that the incidence of thyroid cancer is on the order of 1-2%. Also, in the rare case that it is cancer, it is easily treatable.
Thanks that does help. It just scares me that I've taken such good care of myself and I would still get something. The unknown is so frightening. I hope my story will turn out like yours. Unfortunately.. I don't have insurance right now. I'm a month away from getting it

Old 11-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User
Re: Lump in neck... Absolutely terrified!!! Please help

I keep reading things about how if there is just one lump on one side it is more likely to be cancerous can you have a nodule on just one side or a goiter on one side?

Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
(female)

StacyA HB User

You can absolutely have a nodule on one side. Try not to panic .. there are many things it could be that are not cancer... especially good that they already checked and you have no swelling elsewhere. Many people have palpable nodules on one side that turn out to be just nodules.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyA View Post
You can absolutely have a nodule on one side. Try not to panic .. there are many things it could be that are not cancer... especially good that they already checked and you have no swelling elsewhere. Many people have palpable nodules on one side that turn out to be just nodules.
Thanks Stacy.. I had a pretty rough thanksiving worrying about this. I am back home now where I've been looking up low cost clinics to at least get looked at by another doctor and have an ultrasound. I can't wait until my insurance kicks in.

I hate that I keep googling things but I can't help it. The more I do it the more scared I become particularly because mine is a swelling on one side .. Which everyone says is more likely to be cancerous. And the fact that I have no other symptoms. I hate the way I feel right now being so paranoid. I just want to feel normal again!

The following user gives a hug of support to Shutterbuggg:
StacyA (11-25-2012)
Reply Reply