It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
levoxyl dosage... question

I'm currently using 75mcg tabs and taking 1.5tabs (112.5mcg) 6x/wk and 1tab 1x/wk. For a total of 750mcg/wk.

I'm wondering though if I could switch to 100mcg tabs so I would only have one day of 1.5tabs and just one tab the rest of the week.

Would it make a difference? It's not a huge deal but it would be preferable to me for the sake of convenience :-)

I'm 5'3" and 100lbs btw...I read that the typical replacement dose is 1.6mcg/kg of body weight. For me that would be approx. 75mcg/day or 525mcg/wk. So why such a discrepancy?

I know some of you here take t3...what are the indications of needing t3 in addition to t4?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: levoxyl dosage...question

Usually people tolerate alternating doses but you'd have to try it to be sure. I think with you it wouldn't make much of a difference if you haven't felt any different on your "75 mcg day".

The absorption of the med varies from one individual to another and it can be affected by for example the fillers of your med or your diet. I take my med at night and get by with a lower dose compared to morning dosing.

If your FT3 remains low with a highish FT4 and symptoms persist then you're probably in need of added T3.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-26-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: levoxyl dosage...question

Thank you for the reply! My Dr has never tested my t3 levels and on the rare occasion my ft4 levels were done (depended on which Dr ordered the labs) my levels have consistently been 1.2-1.4 regardless of my symptoms or tsh.

Is there any symptomatic indication that ft3 levels should be checked? My symptoms have been very up and down since giving birth 9months ago. I know that's common with hashis (this is my third baby since treatment) but am wondering if there's anything that can/should be done to help cope with the symptoms.

I had read that adding t3 sometimes helps stabilize levels better than t4 alone...any experience or knowledge on that?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: levoxyl dosage... question

Well low FT3 gives you hypoT symptoms, there are individual differences (some symptoms may come with too low FT4 and some from too low FT3). One's dose should never be adjusted based on TSH alone, always get at least your FT4 checked too. We all have our own personal "set points" where we need to be in order to be asymptomatic. Those set points can also change over time.

When you start taking T3 your TSH becomes suppressed (or is supposed to as that's what hapens when you're optimally treated). That will suppress your own thyroid function which at least in theory would lead to better manageability of your symptoms and thyroid hormone levels.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-26-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Reply Reply