It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
(female)

Lola3535 HB User
Any advice how NOT to gain weight on L-Thyroxine (Synthroid)?

Hi, I'm new here and this will be my first day of starting meds for hypothyroidism. My Dr. is starting me on 25mcg L-thyroxine (synthroid) and will monitor after 8 weeks for adjustments as needed.

I've read so many posts from people who gained weight after starting this medication. Is there anyone who didn't have this problem or found a way not to gain weight?

Thanks for any info!

Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
(female)

mudskipper HB User
Re: Any advice how NOT to gain weight on L-Thyroxine (Synthroid)?

I think it's more common to lose weight, although anything is possible!

Hypo is more normally associated with weight gain, so treating it should reverse that.

Good luck with your treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The best way to not have "side effects" from thyroid med is to learn as much as you can about your condition so that you'll know what levels of T4/T3 are best for you. Your doctor will want to prescribe the least amount of hormone possible, even if it isn't enough to eliminate your symptoms.

Please understand ... Twenty-five mcgs is only a starter dose. It's not a therapeutic dose. Your levels should be remeasured in about 6 weeks, when the dose will almost surely need to be raised to 50 mcgs. That process should be repeated until you feel well, not until the doctor reaches his idea of a therapeutic dose.

At the onset of treatment, it's typical for new symptoms to appear and/or old ones to worsen. That means it's possible for some new weight to be gained, but once your optimal dose is reached, things should reverse. Any "old" weight gained before treatment probably won't just melt away, but it should be possible to lose with concerted effort of good diet and exercise.

Good luck with your treatment!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
(female)

Lola3535 HB User

Thanks for the advice, my Dr. is going to redo labs in 8 weeks. Funny thing is I don't have any of the typical symptoms so I don't know if I'm going to feel any different.

Only thing I can think of is being cold all the time but I've been like that my entire life so not sure if that would even count as a symptom. Been super healthy my whole life too so wasn't thrilled about having to start a medicine I will have to stay on forever....

Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
(female)

mudskipper HB User

What were your bloods that prompted treatment?

I have had a mammoth task persuading my GP to try treatment because my T4 was in the normal range (albeit at the bottom end) and my TSH was < 10. I believe they should be treating symptoms, not just blood levels. Certainly there doesn't seem to be a consensus about exactly when treatment should start. Unless your bloods are way off, if you're feeling fine I'd talk to your GP about whether you really do need to start treatment.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
(female)

Lola3535 HB User

My TSH was 6.21. She monitored it for about a year and it was getting worse so she said I should go on meds for it.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
I think it's more common to lose weight, although anything is possible!

Hypo is more normally associated with weight gain, so treating it should reverse that.

Good luck with your treatment.

This was my experience as well. Synthroid does make your appetite increase,but so does your metabolism.So,as long as you don't over do it,you should not gain weight.
I have a slight weight issue (about 10 pounds overweight) and it from my PCOS and not from Synthroid.When I first started the Synthroid I did lose some weight.

The Following User Says Thank You to WhenItRains For This Useful Post:
Lola3535 (11-29-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
synthroid, thyroid disease, weight gain