It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
(male)

gentlemike1 HB User
hyperthyroid and toxic nodule

have hyper with toxic nodule.been on methimazole for 2 months and finally thyroid normal blood test
still feel anxious and jittery though.wonder if its psychosymatic
dr assures me the anxiety is not from thyroid now that its normal readings
refuses to give me 20 xanax to have on hand in case of sleep anxiety.
can you still have symptoms when the reading turn normal?
still have large tumor that maybe is doing it?
or is it something i need to see therapist for?
why do these drs refuse you anxiety help?
they will throw all types of drugs on you that will destroy your liver and have serious side effects but pain meds and xanax they wont give.
really is frustrating and disappointing.you think you going to dr and will get help and they want you to suffer.its not like i am junkie.i am losing my mind with this anxiety and they let me leave their office with no help.

The following user gives a hug of support to gentlemike1:
Mamaof4girls (12-02-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to gentlemike1 For This Useful Post:
OverItUnderIt (12-04-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
(male)

Skiyrizer HB UserSkiyrizer HB User
Re: hyperthyroid and toxic nodule

Well I had thyroid tests too come back 'normal' when I totally was in super hyper freak land. One of my many TSH ER visit tests was toward the lower normal end of the scale. They never bothered to test my Free T3 or T4, nor did they really care too. They let me leave while I was hallucinating once, so I totally feel for you...

When I calmed down enough to the point I could drive, I went to a psychologist and she prescribed me a low dose xanax along with SSRI. They WILL help you and explain to them you need some immediate relief. If they don't, go to another one until you get what you need. It's sucks because when you are freaking out like that a lot of times they think you could be a junkie. ER's will totally dismiss you because that is what the junkies do. Totally sucks that others ruin it for us who really need help. I know...

If it is a toxic nodule try eating natural stuff with no crap in it, it will help if not eliminate the symptoms. No processed foods period. No high salt/sodium crap. No sodas, just water. A gluten free type diet is what I did and it helped a ton. And get those supplements... They will help...

The Following User Says Thank You to Skiyrizer For This Useful Post:
gentlemike1 (01-04-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

First, be careful taking any supplements, you don't want anything with selenium or iodine in it (many vitamins have iodine), because those two things will make you much worse.

Are you with an endocrinologist? You need drugs to reduce the hyperthyroid such as tapazole, they will watch you so that it won't cause damage.

Look for an endocrinologist or a regular doctor that is willing to give you perhaps a beta blocker, or better manage the other anxiety symptoms you are experiencing until it burns out or the other drugs bring you to better levels.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
gentlemike1 (01-04-2013)
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
(female)

Mamaof4girls HB User

I all ready had a anxiety disorder when I was diagnosed with GD! So I was put on valium the first 2-3 months, then put back on the ativan. I also became pregnant, and had to take 3 mg. of ativan a day for my entire pregnancy. My levels have been normal since October of 2011, I still take 0.5 mg of ativan every night before bed. I also had the jittery symptoms for the first month or so of being diagnosed. Hope you get to feeling better! I also take 25 mg. of atenolol, I developed SVT, Supraventricular Tachycardia, a rapid heart, from all the stress of going through the diagnoses of GD and then getting pregnant.

Last edited by Mamaof4girls; 12-02-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added more info.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mamaof4girls For This Useful Post:
gentlemike1 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
(male)

gentlemike1 HB User

thanks.my endo refuses to beleive i have anxiety from this.he is adamant
im really getting ******
my gp also refuses to give me xanax
i guess ill have to go to mental health dr

Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
(male)

gentlemike1 HB User

i am on methimazole
30 mg day 10 in am 20 in pm
my blood came back with normal readings a few weeks agao and he didnt lower my dose and now i am hypo i think,leg pain,back pain and some anxiety again
dr called for new blodwork and i asked if i should lower to 1 pill a day{which i did myself anyway},he agreed.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
(female)

Mamaof4girls HB User

HI, I was on 40 mg. of the methimazole when I first got diagnosed, the Dr. had to lower it after 3 weeks! I would go to the emergency room, if your anxiety gets too bad! I had too, but now my pcp prescribes me my ativan every 2 to 3 months. I know how the anxiety can make you feel horrible, I had panic attacks all the time, and would hyperventilate, I am now off of the methimazole after 23 months of battling the GD. I know that once your levels get into the normal range, or if they are under active, your suppose to be on a lower dose. I am not a Dr. though , just telling you what I been through. Its been a rough, rocky road, but I feel so much better now and like my normal self Try not to worry too much! Also counseling helps too, I did that for a year.

Reply Reply