It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

WingNut79 HB User
Exclamation Secondary Hypo, can't stand watch and wait

Hi all, I had posted previously under "don't want to be dismissed". Here are my labs:

TSH 1.64 (0.35-4.94 mcIU/mL)
Free T4 0.7 (0.6-2.5 ng/dL)
Free T3 2.9 (2.3-4.2 pg/mL)

Saw my primary care doc who agreed my T4 was bottom of the barrel. So he was pretty sure my pituitary was shot. So he tested my a.m. cortisol, fsh and lh.

Those came back normal. I don't know the values, but he said they "weren't even anywhere close to being abnormal". Great news!

The bad news? He said that I should either A)Get a second opinion from an endo doc since I may have a "developing thyroid problem" or B)Repeat the labs in 3 months.

All the endo docs near me seem to deal with diabetes. And they all have a massive wait time to get an appt. I don't want to wait 3 months to be dismissed. I also don't want to wait 3 months to repeat the labs. I told him, I am beyond feeling horrible.

I am a former triathlete, was always very thin. Now I'm considered in the "obese" range. I have so little energy that at times driving is scary and I use my lunch break at work every day to take a nap. I can't keep living like this and I fear that I''ll have to take medical leave before I'd even reach that 3 month mark.

So I emailed him begging. I'm not a beggar. He's seen me thin. I'm exhausted. I told him I'd do anything. I'll keep a food/exercise journal. I'll sleep when he tells me to. I'll go to whatever doc he wants me to. Just please don't make me wait 3 months. Please start some kind of treatment now.

And I'm waiting for a reply. I want to cry. I'm not big on crying.

Who knows, this could be a growth hormone problem too. I have no idea. But I can't keep going on like this. I'm desperate.

Thanks for reading my vent.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: WingNut79
alliebeth88 (12-05-2012), cindeebee (12-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
(female)

cindeebee HB User
Re: Secondary Hypo, can't stand watch and wait

I'm a newbie here, but from experience...have them check your TPO (ThyroidPeroxidase) Antibodies. That's how I was diagnosed, when all my other levels were "in the RANGE". It shows an autoimmune response of my body attacking my thyroid and it will slowly kill my thyroid. I had/have all the usual symptoms and am just getting started on thyroid meds. I'm currently using Armour and it has done wonders for my metabolism! I'm also taking hormones since my Progesterone and Testosterone were also low. I'm just hoping I'm on the right path! I think I see the light! Best of luck to you. I hope you get a diagnosis soon. We've all been there and just getting a diagnosis is a blessing!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yep. I agree with that.
I mentioned the antibodies in one of my earlier replies to you.
Positive results on either or both the Ab tests can help win a diagnosis from some MDs.
(Negative results don't disprove the diagnosis, though. There is a false-negative rate of about 20%, but the tests are definitely worth doing.)

Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
(female)

WingNut79 HB User

Thanks to you both.

Luckily, I was able to get an appt with an Endo doc for this coming tuesday, yay!

So my Primary Care doc, he gave me a one month rx for phentermine since my bmi is now at 30. (30! Unfreaking believable, I've always been skinny!!!). So the deal is this. It will help me not be so darn tired (indeed, I have a TON of energy), hopefully drop a few pounds, and get me through till we can get this thyroid problem situated.

Conditions:
-If I do not lose any weight in one month at my checkup, the phentermine will be discontinued.
-If I lose weight, the max I can lose before I am taken off the meds is 18lbs (based on my bmi), or 3 months, whichever comes first.
-If the endo starts me on any thyroid meds, I stop phentermine immediately.

So that's where I'm at now.....

*Edited cuz I accidentally wrote "30 months" hee hee*

Last edited by WingNut79; 12-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'm amazed you got an endo appointment so fast. They're usually booked up for months. Be prepared though; endos are the least likely to diagnose hypothyroidism. They're "textbook" types who cannot see shades of gray.

Also, don't focus on weight with him. If he suspects even a little that you're seeking thyroid hormone as a weight loss drug, you'll be dismissed without even a fair hearing.

Forget the "secondary" hypoT thing. Your TSH is too high for that. Secondary hypoT presents with low or low-normal TSH and low free T4. Who told you it's secondary?

Reply Reply