It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User
Question Started on Synthroid

I was just diagnosed this week as hypo with a TSH of 5.18 (range .45-4.5). This was my second elevated test in the last two months.

My other numbers were in normal range. Well I took my first dose of Synthroid yesterday morning. I took half of the 25mcgs that my doc because I am very sensitive to meds and did not want to experience side effects. I felt pretty yucky all day but I have to tell you I was really scared to take this med. I am med phobic and have a pretty bad anxiety disorder especially around health. Well last night I did not sleep very well at all. I had a lot of trouble falling asleep particularly.

I have had issues a lot with falling asleep in the past and was worried the Synthroid would make this worse.

What do you guys think, could that dose have in any way contributed to my sleep issues last night?

Thanks,
Ivy

Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Started on Synthroid

No. It's not possible. I'm 99.9% sure it's your anxiety.

Synthroid takes time to build up in one's system. The soonest most people notice a difference is two weeks after taking a dose daily. One miniscule "dose" like you took wouldn't do a thing.

If it helps to ease your mind any, Synthroid and other thyroid meds are not "drugs" as such. They are synthetic (or natural) forms of the same hormone your gland would be making if it were able. They aren't foreign substances like statins, blood pressure controls, allergy meds, or even aspirin. Your body makes them and must have them. If you were diabetic and needed insulin, would you be as frightened of that? It's the same thing... A hormone deficiency that has to be met in order to preserve life.

The following user gives a hug of support to midwest1:
Ms_T (12-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User

Thanks Midwest,
Everything you said makes perfect sense and your explanation does help a lot. I know it is my anxiety. For me starting a new med and getting a new diagnosis is a major trigger. I am going to keep what you said it the front of my mind, that this in not really a med is the usual terms and only a "supplement" of what my body naturally makes.

I guess I need to continue to learn about this disorder to help with the anxiety because I look at synthroid as a med that can cause side effects when I really need to look at it more as too much causes another disorder meaning hyperthyroid. I think that is what I am most afraid of the symptoms of hyperthyroid.

What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks so much.
Ivy

Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

As you progress slowly through the dose optimization process, you might encounter worsening of existing symptoms or the onset of new ones - even hyperT ones. That's typical, although something that MDs have no clue about unless they've been there themselves. So you get no warning from them that it happens. That's what we're here for. Be patient; you can and will live through it and emerge successfully on the other side.

You don't need to be "most afraid" of hyperthyroid symptoms. They may happen, and there's little you can do about them except endure till they stop. What you have to be concerned about - although not petrified of - is the actual condition of hyperT from overmedication. You'll know if that happens because your bloodwork will show excessive levels of T4 and/or T3. That's why symptoms always have to be evaluated in the context of FT levels and not taken solely for their own merit.

Since MDs are notoriously stingy with thyroid meds due to their own illogical fear of overmedicating patients, it's very unlikely that you'll be overdosed and go hyperT. But if you are, it's easy to fix. Just adjust the dose until that's no longer the case. Easy-peasy.

Go forward and conquer! You can do this.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
(female)

fresnogirl HB Userfresnogirl HB User

this post was very similar to mine two months ago. im still at synthroid 25mcg and still adjusting. new symptoms
for me is anxiety and chest tightness that comes and goes. are these considered adjustment symptoms? i had labs done at the six week mark and it showed my free t3 went up and my free t4 and tsh went down. i also have high reverse t3 that i had done five days after taking synthroid. is there a problem here?

Reply Reply