It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
(female)

berrybug1 HB User
Thyroid Disorder & Migraines?

Hi.. I'm new here. I've been "diagnosed" with migraine disorder. I currently take 150mg of Topamax twice daily to try to control my migraines, but it's not doing such a great job. They had been twice a week, and we had gotten them to twice a month, but now they are back to weekly. I've been doing some web research and came across some information that leads me to believe I may have a thyroid issue that could be contributing to this problem.

It's all greek to me, to be honest. I do intend to call my GP on Monday, and I need to know what to ask for re: bloodwork. I've had the common workup before, and they've come back normal, then I get blown off. I do have lower than normal blood pressure (I've been told) and I am very sensitive to heat and cold, have brittle nails, etc. I took an online quiz and answered 59% indicative of hypo.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
(male)

Skiyrizer HB UserSkiyrizer HB User
Re: Thyroid Disorder & Migraines?

It's possible. I used to get a migraine once a week and it was becoming a real problem. I also had undiagnosed thyroid issues during this time. Today, I rarely get a migraine or a simple headache...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

You may or may not have a thyroid problem, and it may or may not affect your migraines. When my thyroid levels have been off, my migraines have been worse, but even when my thyroid levels are great, I get migraines. In my case it's a combination of female hormones and foods/sugars that trigger my migraines.

The thyroid levels you can get tested are tsh, free t4, free t3, and thyroid antibodies. (i.e. tg, tsi antibodies). If you are at the lower end of free t3 and or free t4 that could be a thyroid problem.

In terms of the migraines, it's horrible, but the diary of migraines over a few months, with specific diet and cycle information may help you prevent them--- as you know, it's really hard to get rid of one once it comes, your best bet is to try your best to prevent them. I take a lot of excedrin before they come, so I only have to take the prescription stuff a couple of times a month.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
(female)

WhatWasIThinkin HB User

How long have you been on the topomax? It does take awhile to get to maximum levels and helpfulness.

Reply Reply