It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
(female)

chelly9440 HB User
A question about cystic thyroid nodules

Hello,

I'm a 22-year old female. I've had symptoms of what I presumed to be hypothyroidism for several years. I'm frequently cold, even during warmer weather, and during the winter, no matter how much I bundle up, I can not keep my hands and feet from feeling like ice cubes. I'm ALWAYS tired, and have been for as long as I can remember. I've tried sleeping less, I've tried sleeping more, and no amount of sleep seems to have any effect on my fatigue. I have heavy, incredibly irregular menstrual periods. I suffer from dry skin and brittle nails. I was also diagnosed with depression, but after several years of having to switch antidepressants and doses because things would just stop working, my diagnosis was changed to Bipolar II disorder and anxiety disorder. I am not currently on any medication.

I'm overweight (5'5" and around 170 lbs. currently). I've been overweight my entire life, but about two years ago, I reached my top weight of 183 pounds. Through diet and exercise, I brought my weight down to 142 pounds, but bottomed out there, in August of 2011. No matter what I did to try to continue to lose weight, it just wasn't happening, and by January of 2012, I'd gained back a little over 20 pounds. My eating habits changed somewhat, but not enough to justify gaining weight so rapidly--and then, what really threw me for a loop, was that I went back to dieting and exercising (eating approximately 1500 calories a day, paying close attention to WHAT I was consuming, and training for a 5k--running, on average, 2 miles a day, 5 days a week) I not only didn't lose ANY weight, but I began gaining weight. It wasn't muscle weight either--my pants were getting more snug, and now I'm only 13 pounds away from my top weight again.

I talked to my doctor, and he sent me for blood tests for my thyroid. The results were normal, and my doctor didn't speak of it again, so I ended up seeing an endocrinologist. She ran about 13 different tests, including two thyroid function tests, and again, every result came back normal, and it was left at that.

Now, about a month ago, I had a sinus infection, so I went back to my doctor, and he was feeling my neck and noted that my thyroid was enlarged. He ordered more blood tests, as well as a thyroid ultrasound. Blood was, again, normal, but I found out today that my thyroid ultrasound revealed "multiple cysts--these are benign". These results were sent to me in a letter, with no further information about what causes these cysts or if they're anything I should be concerned about. I do know that I've been in pretty chronic pain--my throat is sore daily, only on the right side of my neck, where I can actually see/feel the enlargement, and it hurts the worst when I'm swallowing, or sometimes even drinking things through a straw. The pain even sometimes radiates into my ears. I know it's not congestion--I can tell the difference, and the pain is significantly reduced by anti-infammatories like ibuprofen.

Has anyone had an experience like this? I'm concerned because of my symptoms, but I can't seem to get any answers. I don't feel like this is how normal people feel on a daily basis, but I feel like every doctor that I've seen writes me off as "one of those patients"--the type that always thinks they have something wrong with them but never ACTUALLY does. Does this sound like something I should pursue, or am I wrong, and this is something that's totally normal? And does anyone have any idea what it COULD be if it doesn't sound normal?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by chelly9440; 12-15-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
(female)

badk1tty HB User
Re: A question about cystic thyroid nodules

I would pursue this personally.

And unfortually we all seem to end up "one of thos patients" because it seems it can take awhile before labs change and fall under or over normal before the doctors do anything. Plus it seems hard when you have a mental illness and they like to make out that, thats the reason you feel like this.

You should request a copy of your lab results. And also get a ultersound. You should be having on every 6-12 months to moniter your enlarged thyroid weather your bloods are normal or not.

I have had the same problem since 2010. My nodules are getting larger, but still wont do anything, finally managed to orgnise another ultersound in the new year.

BUT my new theroy is the Effexor I was taking for my Panic disorder, acutally causes Thyroid nodules, Goltiers, Hyper and Hypo. Found that information on the Wyeth wedsite. Litiium is also knowen to do the same I have read.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
(female)

WhatWasIThinkin HB User
Re: A question about cystic thyroid nodules

I am also one of "those" patients. I also cystic and fluid filled nodules in my goiter and some days it is so very painful and I can feel the discomfort like you mention. Tell the doctor that and they look at you like you have 3 heads! Keep pushing them to figure it out, that's their job!!!

Reply Reply