It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
(male)

Cycleboy HB User
Fasting while on Levothyroxine (75mcg)

Hello All. Just have a quick question if some of you don't mind offering some insight..

Background:
- 19 year old college student, suffering from hypothyroidism for a year or two.
- Endocrinologist prescribed me to take "levothyroxine" to help with my symptoms (around the end of september of this year)
- Have always kept my diet "healthy" - Eating 2-3x a day (but have done the "intermittent fasting diet" on and off. Which involves fasting for 16 hours and having an 8 hour eating "window". In my case I've adopted a 19 hour fasting period, and 5 hour window.
- Have dealt with depression, fatigue, lethargy, exhaustion in the past.
- Currently taking 20mg of Prozac, 75 mcg of Levo thyroxine

Main question/Topic:
Alrighty, so I've suffered from hypothyroidism for 2 years now really. It all started when I lost over 100+ lbs over a period of 2 years at the ages of 15-17 years old and my thyroid whittled down to nothing.

At the end of september, my endocrinologist put me on 50mcg of Levothyroxine and at the time my levels were.. (Free T4 - 0.7ng/dl, TSH - 4.49, and T3 Total was <10ng/ml, Cortisol @ 22.2mcg/dl).. I was put on the medication and within weeks I was feeling great.

I was exercising (I'm a big bike rider.. or used to be), had motivation, and actually got energy from the food I ate (it felt like). And now it feels like all of this time later, I've transformed into a different person. I now suffer from depression/lethargy virtually every single day I wake up. It all started around 2 months ago, and I haven't recovered from it..

So, about a month into this "dilemma" I gave my endo a call and he upped my dosage of my levothyroxine to 75 mcg, (I wanted to see if this may be the problem with my constant fatigue/lethargy/unmotivated feelings).. and I had my levels retested at (Free T4 - 1.1 ng/dl , TSH - 4.24). However, after being on this for 2-3 weeks now.. I can say that I feel exactly the same as I did while on the 50 mcg's.

My questions
- Could fasting while taking this medication (during the day) be detrimental? I AM getting necessary calories.. but it's all within a window of the day usually. (weight has been maintained throughout this period).
- Could the medication be interacting with my OTHER medications (Coming off of 54 mg of Concerta from ADHD and quitting caffeine cold turkey) I'm also taking 20mg of Prozac for depression
- I pretty much just wake up, and do minor and insignificant things during the day. Luckily I'm on a "winter break" from classes and I don't have to be there. But I lack the physical strength to even do much walking or the things that I used to LOVE doing which was to exercise.. could the medication be the reason for this everyday feeling? Lethargy, weakness, fatigue, waking up to use the restroom 4-5x a night, feeling tired constantly, headaches, etc.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm desperate for answers at this point.
Have a wonderful evening all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
(male)

Cycleboy HB User
Re: Fasting while on Levothyroxine (75mcg)

bump.. just hoping for a reply..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

It's good if you post the ranges for your labs, but at a glance looks like you need more thyroid hormone in your system.

I think the fasting is a separate issue---personally I wouldn't feel good with those spikes and drops in blood sugar with the diet method you are using--I feel better eating little amounts all day long. You are on other medications, and i have no idea how those make you feel either.

It's hard to find the right dose of thyroid hormone, and it takes at least 6-8 weeks for it to show an increase in your blood work, it takes time to tweak to the right dose. And if it's way too little for you---taking a slightly higher dose won't do too much. I think you just got lucky with that first dose, and maybe you were feeling better for other reasons too.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
(male)

Cycleboy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
It's good if you post the ranges for your labs, but at a glance looks like you need more thyroid hormone in your system.

I think the fasting is a separate issue---personally I wouldn't feel good with those spikes and drops in blood sugar with the diet method you are using--I feel better eating little amounts all day long. You are on other medications, and i have no idea how those make you feel either.

It's hard to find the right dose of thyroid hormone, and it takes at least 6-8 weeks for it to show an increase in your blood work, it takes time to tweak to the right dose. And if it's way too little for you---taking a slightly higher dose won't do too much. I think you just got lucky with that first dose, and maybe you were feeling better for other reasons too.
Reece, Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll consider offering my fasting schedule and I'll also check with my endo if this keeps going on..

Thanks for your 0.02$

Old 12-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
(male)

Cycleboy HB User

just wanted to bump this incase anyone has any other opinions.

I've started eating more during the day, 1 meal at around 2 p.m. But it's actually made me MORE tired and lethargic.. not really sure what the answers are at this point and am very depressed/discouraged about it.

Thanks

Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
(male)

Cycleboy HB User

Just one more bump, still looking for answers/opinions..

Reply Reply