It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
(female)

nelson18 HB User
Just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

Hi,

I have just been recently diagnosed with an under-active Thyroid - 4 weeks ago - and would be very interested to hear from anyone who in the same boat. I had just Free T3 tested = result 4.12 and Reverse T3 0.34, ratio is 18.72 so positive for Reverse T3

I experienced a few weeks of mild insomnia and my Doc, as a precautionary measure, suggested I get my Thyroid checked and my results came back as positive for Reverse T3. I have read one of the main symptoms of an under-active Thyroid is weight gain however so far I am showing no signs of weight gain and actually I have found it very easy to lose weight over the past 2 months. I don't seem to have any other symptoms either. When I had my bloods done I was tested for Free T3 and Reverse T3 but again from what I am reading I should be getting T4 and my TSH checked. I am wondering should I get a second opinion??

I believe stress can cause Hypothroidism and am now wondering did my stress as a direct result of my insomnia bring this on - however I am now sleeping like a baby again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

There's a lot to address here. I'll go point by point:

Regarding free T3 of "4.12". - A reference range can vary from lab to lab. Your test results must be compared to the range used for testing.

A prolonged period of hypothyroidism can cause reverse T3. It can be corrected just by treating the hypothyroidism properly. IMO, it doesn't mean much just to have reverse T3.

There are dozens of signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism. You can check our "Thyroid Information" sticky thread for a comprehensive list. You may have several without knowing they can be thyroid-related. Weight gain (or inability to lose weight with concerted effort) is just one of many, and no one has all of them. Some hypoT people actually lose weight without trying.

You absolutely need your free T4 checked. It's every bit as important as free T3. Also, you should have the antibody tests related to hypothyroidism - TPO and Tg. Autoimmunity is the most common cause of hypoT in industrialized countries. Hormonal flux in women - around puberty, pregnancy, and menopause - is the most common trigger for autoimmune hypoT. Stress alone would not be considered a trigger, although it has been implicated in Graves' disease (autoimmune hypERthyroidism).

Your doctor's assessment of the situation is unusual. IMO, you need the free T4 and antibodies tests to get the complete picture.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply