It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
(female)

chriscb HB User
Unhappy please help me thyroid gone crazy

Hi, you all might know whats going on with me because i feel like my new endo and the one before her just dont get it. I started losing weight and shaking last christmas from hyperthyroidism . I went to the er and was put on methimazole in march 2012. I was thrown out there on this medicine for 3 months and not monitored. Anyways i lost 20 pounds from being hyper and have gained 42 since march after being put on methimazole. I saw a new endo yesterday with high hopes. She didnt want to hear about the fact that i feel hypo and keep gaining weight despite every effort not to. My question is..my TSH is low at 0.005...it was 0.008 so i guess im getting worse but my free t3 and free t4 are in the low normal range. My doc wants me to up my dose from 5mg a day to 10. I feel like she is going only by my tsh. Should i do what she says? Im so confused,depressed and scared of never stopping gaining weight. Please give me advice. Could there be more to it than this? She says if I have graves its a very mild case judging by my antibodies.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: please help me thyroid gone crazy

You're right. She's treating by TSH only, when the focus should be on the free Ts. If they are only low-normal and you feel hypo, then you are hypo and don't need to increase the dose.

I can't tell you what you should do; but speaking for myself, I wouldn't be upping that dose.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
chriscb (12-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
thyroid, weight gain