It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
(female)

Up North HB User
Help!!!

Hi
I am desperately searching for a Dr in Sault Ste Marie or surrounding areas that wil prescribe Thyroid or Armour. Any suggestions??? Tx

Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User
Re: Help!!!

I see that Jon's Medicine Shoppe in the Soo is a compunding pharmacy. Go there and ask your question to the pharmacist. He may know several such docs. Ask him point blank which doc that he would go to.

good luck...

The Following User Says Thank You to telus For This Useful Post:
Up North (12-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
(female)

Up North HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by telus View Post
I see that Jon's Medicine Shoppe in the Soo is a compunding pharmacy. Go there and ask your question to the pharmacist. He may know several such docs. Ask him point blank which doc that he would go to.

good luck...

Old 12-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
(female)

Up North HB User

Thank you for the lead.

This may be a silly question, however can someone tell me why so many Dr are apposed to prescribing Armour or Thyroid??? I even called my pharmacy who I have been dealing with for 15 yrs and they felt very strongly that the Synthroid I am currently taking is far better then Armour or Thyroid even though I have felt like crap since receiving the RAI and taking synthroid for
15yrs. I was so niave and had no idea I would never feel normal again. I hope I can find a new Dr soon. So sick of being so sick and tired!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User

I was in the same boat. Long time on Synthroid. Was clueless, relying on doctor. Finally started doing my own research when I ran into problems. Found out how little most doctors know.

The simple answer is that the docs all learned at school that Synthroid was the "right" way to go and Armour is the old fashioned way. And synthroid is the official way sanctioned by endocrinologists - so that's what GP's will follow. They simply are not knowledgable on the topic of treating with T3 plus T4. Same thing for getting the right tests - they plain do not know. Heck, some do not even know what T3 is; never mind reverse T3.

So you gotta take matters into your own hands, like you are doing. Even when you find a new doc, I suggest you stay on top of it every step of the way - question every move.

One thing I learned is you gotta be very patient and do not be too quick to changes doses.

If you haven't already done so, have a look at Mistakes Patients Make (or their Doctors make for them!)

Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
(female)

Up North HB User

After surfing the net and finding so many patients that have had such positive results on Armour, I have hope for the very first time in many, many years. I have left the dr's office so many times in tears only to be told my thyroid levels are fine and that I am suffering from depression and that I need to exercise and eat healthy. Of coarse I am depressed considering I have gained 45 lbs, my hair has fallen out and I have absolutely no energy to do anything more then work an 8hr shift and then go to bed. Gee, I bet she would be depressed too. On my last visit I asked for a referral to a new Endocrinologist and she told she didn;t think anything needed to be addressed with my thyroid and that I should consider Fibromyalgia. That was the icing on the cake! Maybe a good thing considering that pushed me further into researching other options.

Thanks for listening. I didn;t realize I had so much pent up anger untill I started ranting on.

Thank you again for your words of wisdom.

Wishing you a Happy New Year!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Yeah. It really gets your goat when you find out how preposterous the whole situation is.

Yup. Depression. Fibromyalgia. Do more research and you will find that some docs now believe fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome are hypothyroidism...

If you haven't already done so, tabulate your past thyroid lab tests: date, dose you were taking, lab numbers for TSH, FT4, FT3, (and units), whatever tests were done. You might have to get numbers from your doc. You do have the right to get copies of lab results.

Are you aware that we have "Thyroid" made by Erfa Canada. It is similar to Armour but not identical - the amounts of T4 and T3 in the pills are different.

An alternative is using synthroid plus slow release T3. Recommend you look at this paper: However I do not agree with his method of calculating how much T3 to take - he gets too much T3. This paper has a lot of good general info.

Hypothyroidism: Optimizing Medication with Slow-Release Compounded Thyroid Replacement
by Martin Milner, ND
National College of Naturopathic Medicine

Reply Reply