It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
(female)

wowser3 HB User
Could it be thyroid ?

Hello, and merry Christmas all.
I have a question for you all , it is Xmas time and I can't get to the doctors with what is bothering me, and then I don't like to bother the doc at this time of year due to there being lots of winter ill people all crowding in after the holidays.
Anyway, about me, I'm a 33 year old female, I have been feeling rotten for a long while, very tired and very achy all over. Went to see the doc and he said do more exercise (which is hard when you hurt)
Google searches all pointed towards fibromyalgia, the tired , the aching, the brain fogs, but I was still lost, and feeling rotten.
So, last evening I was in the pub with a friend and she commented on some bald patches on my head, now I know there's been a lot of hairs in my bath but I didn't realise it was so noticeable, and it is now I look. I feel rather upset, gutted and rather un-womanly
Thanks if you've read this far.
I began thinking of thyroid probs, my 2 sisters and my brother (now deceased) all have had hypothyroidism.
I did have my TSH checked about 10 years ago due to suffering from depression and it was normal. Do you think I should ask for another test? Can it develop over time.
I seem to have developed a red dry blotchy rash on my face and Im onstantly going for wees, and my eyes are dry, I don't know if that's anything to do with thyroid but I just need to vent. I don't feel right, I know something is wrong, I wish I knew what.
L

The following user gives a hug of support to wowser3:
trinage (12-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
(female)

trinage HB User
Re: Could it be thyroid ?

Hi Wowser my name's Bethany, I don't know whether my thoughts would be any help to you as i am only 19 and have only been diagnosed with HYPO for about 6 monthish now, but i know how frustrating it is to not have any answers or any notice taken when you're feeling so down. I would say get checked out, like you my relatives also have hypo, my nan, auntie and mother, that's why i was pushed to get checked as i was showing many signs of hypo and i felt utterly awful all the time, But from what i have learnt most doctors know **** about this type of thing and even though you may be in the normal range you may still feel poop, thankfully my endocrinologist is actually helping but you may have to push. xx

Last edited by trinage; 12-26-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Could it be thyroid ?

Yes! Absolutely get checked again. Your symptoms and family history are very suspect. Because you're in the UK, though, you might find more resistance from your doctor to make the diagnosis. To boost your chances, go for your TSH test as early in the day as you can manage for the blood test. TSH is higher in the morning, so your odds of getting an abnormal reading are higher then. (Also, fast from midnight on until you have the blood drawn.)

Don't settle for a TSH test only. Insist on at least a free T4 test as well. When hypothyroidism runs in the family, it's usually due to an autoimmune disease known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The disease can keep TSH from appearing abnormal for decades, letting the patient go undiagnosed by doctors who rely only on it for proof of dysfunction. If your TSH is above 1.5 to 2.0, and if your free T4 is below lab median, you very probably will benefit from thyroid hormone replacement.

I don't think they very often test for antibodies in the UK; but if you can get tests for them - both TPO and Tg antibodies - it might help confirm a diagnosis.

It can be difficult to get diagnosed and treated in the UK, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue it. Good luck to you!

Reply Reply