It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
(female)

Sadsin31 HB User
Unsure of recommended treatment for my mom

Hello everyone,
I have been reading posts in this forum for some time now and have learned so much from everyone so i figured maybe it was time i post a question of my own. I am in need of some help understanding my moms lab results and whether or not the doctors recommended treatment is right for her. I am so very depressed because she has been dealing with horrible thyroid problems for some time now. She was first diagnosed with hyperthyroid in 2008 and then under went RAI a yr later, she takes synthroid now but this past yr has been a yr from hell for her. She's had every possible symptom you can name from palpitations, uncontrollable GERD, depression,dry, brittle hair/nails, and diarrhea. She's been to the ER countless times and doctors always tell her it's not her thyroid and conclude that she is just suffering from anxiety! SMH.
I recently took her to a new doctor (who is known to be open to armour and testing for free T3, free T4) because her endocrinologists wasn't helping at all. We went over the blood work with him on Friday and he said her thyroid levels are very low as well as her adrenals. He also said her iron was low and cholesterol was high due to thyroid problems. He prescribed her cytomel (5mcg, to be slowly increased) only and told her not to take synthroid anymore because it was only making her worse and gave her multiple supplements for her adrenals as well as iron, vitamin C, and licorice root liquid. She started the cytomel on sat and had horrible stomach pains and diarrhea 45 min after taking it. Now the dr wants to put her on a slow release med, liothyronine. I'm not sure why he only wants her on a T3 and not a combo T4/T3 instead but nor do I completely understand the lab results. Can someone help me understand these results and give me their opinion on treating with only T3 and supplements for adrenals. I'm so desperate to get my mom back to health again, I will greatly appreciate any help (FYI: she is 66 yrs old)

LABS:
TSH: 8.280 (0.450-4.500)
Free T4 (direct): 1.08 (0.82-1.77)
Free T3, serum: 1.9 (2.0-4.4)
T3 uptake: 29 (24-39)
t3: 85 (71-180)
TPO AB: 12 (0-34)
Anti thyroglobulin AB: <20 (0.40)
Cortisol AM 10.2 (6.2-19.4)
DHEA Sulfate: 165.9 (9.4-246.0)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Unsure of recommended trtm for my mom

Your mom is quite undermedicated. She doesn't seem to have a problem "converting" so I wonder if she even needs cytomel. Her ratio of free t3 to free t4 is fine. If she wants she can try tirosent which is a t4 med that goes quickly to the blood stream with no digestive issues.

What dose of synthroid was she on? Some people don't do well with cytomel (it made my hands shakey). I think she was on way to low of a dose of synthroid----that tsh is very high, her body is calling for more hormone, her free t3 and free t4 should be above mid range to feel better. Her symptoms are typical hypothroid symptoms at this point. It takes time to get the right dose, especially after rai (most modern docs don't do rai anymore, they do meds to bring your levels down instead). It will take even more time to feel right. she will get there, but her med level is wayyyyy off.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
(female)

Sadsin31 HB User

Hello Reece, thank you for replying! My moms synthroid dosage is 88mcg. I also felt that she needed more synthroid but now this new doctor doesn't want her taking synthroid. He only wants her on the slow release T3. Maybe I will take her back to her endo to discuss more synthroid but I just wish someone would prescribe her something that is a combo T3/T4, I think she may do better overall with this type.

I will look into triosent for her. Thanks again!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
(female)

Sadsin31 HB User

Hello Reece, thank you for replying! My moms synthroid dosage is 88mcg. I also felt that she needed more synthroid but now this new doctor doesn't want her taking synthroid. He only wants her on the slow release T3. Maybe I will take her back to her endo to discuss more synthroid but I just wish someone would prescribe her something that is a combo T3/T4, I think she may do better overall with this type.

I will look into triosent for her. Thanks again!

Reply Reply