It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
(female)

mayfliesmayfly HB Usermayfliesmayfly HB User
Suggestions for First Doctor Visit?

In a couple of days, I will be having my first doctors appointment relating to my thyroid and I wanted to see if anyone had some words of advice.

I have emailed this doctor on and off, and before I got my antibodies tested he said he didn't think I had a thyroid issue. After I got my antibodies tested, he said that I "might" have Hashimoto's.

Here are my test scores from a few months ago:
TSH 2.220 mIU/L (0.2-4.2)
Free T3 3.09 pg/ml (2.3-6.9)
Free T4 0.87 ng/dl (0.78-2.11)
Thyroperoxidase AB 28.97 IU/ml (0-35)
Thyroglobulin AB 150.60 IU/ml (0-115)

I'm planning on brining a list of symptoms, as well as print out some research.

Any other suggestions?
Questions I need to ask?
Things I need to make sure he sees?

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Suggestions for First Doctor Visit?

There's no "might" about it. You have Hashimoto's, and it has left you hypothyroid. See how both your free Ts are near the bottoms of their ranges? That's hypothyroidism. It needs to be treated with replacement hormone.

Let us know how your visit goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
(female)

Well, I think the visit went better than expected. He was nice and listened to my concerns without telling me I was wrong.

He said that my levels were all considered normal, but that I did have a long list of symptoms related to thyroid. He didn't make me feel as if he didn't believe I had these symptoms.

I had asked him before I came if he might be willing to treat me with "normal" levels, and he said at the appointment he wasn't sure. He was honest and said that since he is relatively new to medicine, he might be less likely to treat it.

Despite this, I feel like he's much more open to the idea than other doctors that I've talked to. I also felt comfortable with him. He ordered some tests and said we'd check back in a month or so.

All my tests came back "normal." I didn't know he didn't order Ft2.033, so I'm going to ask he does that. Also, new antibody tests haven't come back.

TSH- 2.03 (0.10 - 5.50 uIU/mL)
FT4- 0.8 (0.8 - 1.17 ng/dL)
T3- 158 (50 - 170 ng/dL)

Old 12-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hmmm... Well, you have reason to be cautiously optimistic. But it's not in your favor that he's a newbie MD, because he's still terrified of the Powers That Be who tend to want to keep us hypoT people undiagnosed and undertreated. Maybe you can use some of the arguments about "normal" lab ranges I posted in your other thread to try and sway him.

The endo who diagnosed me treats when there are antibodies and symptoms, regardless of TSH. The criteria for treatment vary widely among MDs; there's very little consensus on the subject. It makes it hard to get treatment; but it also means that if you look hard enough, you can.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
(female)

Well, my TPO AB is high.

November, it was 28 (<35).
Now, it's 47 (<35).

With a high TPO an Tg, I'm hoping he won't have a problem diagnosing what I already know and get on some medicine. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your support!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
(female)

Even with both of my antibodies elevated, he said in an email, "It actually does appear that based on your mildly elevated TPO Ab, you may indeed have Hashimoto's disease."

First off, it's almost as if he's surprised! Second, he still hasn't come out and said it. I think he just doesn't feel comfortable admitting it, meaning that I doubt he'll try and treat it.

He has said for now to see an endo, but also says he doesn't know if she'll do anything for the treatment.

Again, fingers crossed.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh no. Endos are the pits at hypothyroidism. They're the least likeliest to give you a diagnosis. You'd be better off with a knowledgeable internist, DO, or GP.

If you're forced into seeing the endo, be sure to stress your low FT4 and try to shift focus away from the so-called 'normal' TSH. Run down the complete list of your symptoms, but emphasize only the top two or three most intolerable ones. If weight gain is one of those, I'd put another from the list in its place. If an endo thinks you want thyroid hormone as a diet aid, they'll send you packing.

If the endo won't help, you might be able to find a good thyroid doc by asking area pharmacists for names of MDs who prescribe Armour thyroid or Cytomel. Those MDs are usually more open-minded about treatment than those who don't prescribe these drugs.

Don't give up, even if you get nowhere with these two.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
(female)

Thanks!

I'm going to see her today. I've got a long list of symptoms already typed up, and will make sure to highlight the first couple of them at the top.

I've printed out some studies that talk about treating euthyroid Hashimoto's, would those be good to bring in?

My biggest problem with finding a doctor is that my health insurance provides the doctors, and the DOs are few and far between. Which means seeing a naturopathy would be out of pocket, which I can't do now.

I'm continuing to keep my fingers crossed.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
(female)

Thanks!

I'm going to see her today. I've got a long list of symptoms already typed up, and will make sure to highlight the first couple of them at the top.

I've printed out some studies that talk about treating euthyroid Hashimoto's, would those be good to bring in?

My biggest problem with finding a doctor is that my health insurance provides the doctors, and the DOs are few and far between. Which means seeing a naturopathy would be out of pocket, which I can't do now.

I'm continuing to keep my fingers crossed.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
(female)

Well, it didn't go well, as is to be expected.

While she was nice, she was very "this is what endo's think." She basically said that TSH is the ONLY test that is "reliable" and that is what they look at. She said that she didn't even really care about FT3 and FT4 because they weren't reliable. I asked if say in a couple of weeks if my FT4 dropped down to .7 (below the reference range) if that would make a difference in my treatment, and she said no. She also said the fact that my antibodies were high didn't mean anything now.

I could tell that in her mind that I was one of those "crazies" who goes on the Internet and does research. She said that we'd do an ultrasound, and she was totally surprised when my thyroid wasn't normal! It was cloudy on the ultrasound, meaning there was inflammation.

All she said then was that we would have to wait and watch. She put in an outstanding order for a TSH (only, and I wasn't even going to try and get her to do the others) test that I could do anytime.

She did say that since I'm young (25) that she would be willing to think about treatment if my TSH was between 3 and 4. In 2009, it was, so it's frustrating to think that if my other doctor had been more aware that I could have been getting treatment already.

I'm going to try and email my doctor again and see if with the ultrasound, he might be willing to treat me. I definitely don't want to just sit around and wait to get sicker.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Mayfly,

You just summed up at least one endocrinologist visit experience that we all have had. I strongly recommend never going back to that one... I fired five endos. I finally got treatment from an integrative medicine internal medicine md. It took over two years to find this md. I had just turned 30.

There are MDs knowledgeable in thyroid care and management. This one was severely lacking and doesn't know that she should be blessing her stars not to be in my path. My analytical chemistry background and knowledge in the actual test results and methods comes in handy when lecturing an Endum like that.

Sorry you had to go through that... Truly I am. You might want to pole the board here. Start a new thread "looking for a thyroid md in xxxx, xx please help." We can share md names. I have two good ones in Chattanooga tn I can pass on if you are with in driving distance.

I went through seven before I found the group I am currently with. It is very common to have to dig and grovel until we find the care we deserve. It shouldn't have to be that hard unfortunately we have to slay our own dragons and quest for that perfect md to help us.

Don't give up hope. You have hundreds of years of experience lurking on this board. It is very active and all the members are willing to help when they can and actually understand what you are going through.

I swear my husband thought I was insane... But in the end I proved I was right. I was not normal! I was hypothyroid and hyperthyroid. Yes. It is a possible state to suffer in...

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-03-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Typos and autocorrection error repair

Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
(female)

Thanks for the reply and the support. Today was a tough day with half of my day spent doing research trying to prepare myself for future doctor's visits.

My biggest issue with the doctors is that I have Kaiser Permanente insurance, which full service. You have to have one of their doctors, and they're all pretty much the same (from what I can tell).

They have a limited number of O.Ds, most of whom are younger and most likely going to feel too inexperienced (such as the OD I just went to see) to treat me. However, I have gone through and found all of them within a 45 mile radius and will just have to start going through them.

I did email this new guy (OD, no endo) and ask if he could explore secondary hypo testing, so we'll see if he'll at least do that.

At least the experience told me that I need to make sure to be even MORE prepared when I see a doctor and make sure I can cite medical studies (am I back in college?) when they tell me things I know aren't true.

Reply Reply

Tags
advice, appointment, doctor