It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Need help with new labs & reverse T3

Here are my new labs.

TSH.....................0.02
FT4.....................1.3............. .........Range 0.8 - 1.8
FT3.....................4.3............. .........Range 2.3 - 4.2
Reverse T3...........47.......................Ra nge 11 - 32
CRP.....................0.40............ ........<0.80

I have been hypo for over 30 yrs. and have always taken 2 gr. of dessicated
thyroid and a short time on thyrolar for most of that time and never had a problem until I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and then Hashitoxocis TSI antibodies at about 65%. My TSH has never been over 1.3 and my labs are usually slightly under mid range even when I increase my thyroid meds. For the last yr. I have been taking 2 1/2 grains of Westhroid. The TSI antibodies and the dessicated thyroid have kept my TSH suppressed. I was shocked when I got these labs and my FT3 and reverse T3 were over the range. I have not felt hyper, in fact I have had sever hypo symptoms such as aching so badly I would have to take Alleve, horrible "tendonitis like" aches and pain that move all around my body so bad I can hardly walk ( I actually have to scoot my feet with baby steps some days), soreness in neck muscles, and increased hair loss. Why would my FT3 go up so much when I am taking only a half grain of med. more than I took 30 yrs ago after I have had Hashi's for yrs too. I thought my thyroid was about gone because it has shunk so much and is so small. I have had multi nodules for the last 10 yrs, but am overdue for an ultrasound.

I have read the the treatment for RT3 is to go on "T3 only" for a while but am concerned about this because of the a-fib (I have had 3 episodes in the past 1 1/2 yrs.) and now I wonder if this is what caused the a-fib. Should I decrease my meds, maybe not take them for a few days until I go for my Dr.'s appointment. I wanted your input before I go so I will understand more about reverse T3 and know some of the treatments because I am not sure she will know what I should do.

Could the high T3 and reverse T3 be causing all these symptoms?
Your input will be very much appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Need help with new labs & reverse T3

Do you think your Ft4 is high enough in the range for you? The lower Ft4 may be causing the high Rt3. I have to have my Ft4 in the upper 1/3 of the range as well as Ft3.

Just a though and I may be all wrong.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lady50:
SHMILY (12-29-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User

Shmily Dec 28

I believe that your problem is that you are taking too much Westhroid.

Your FT4 is 1.3, which is 25 % over median of 1.04.

Your FT3 of 4.3 is about 49% higher than median around 2.88.

One of the big problems of taking too much T4 is that your body has to get rid of it somehow and the way it does that is by converting the excess to RT3. So RT3 builds up dramatically. The problem with this is that RT3 blocks your cells so that regular T3 cannot get in to do its job.

You are feeling hypo because your FT3 cannot work properly in your cells because it is being blocked by RT3.

You say you took 2 grains for a long time. Did you feel OK? Looking back at your earlier posts, on 28 April 2010 you said you were taking 2 grains and your FT4 was 1.1 and FT3 was 2.9. These numbers are bang on normal/median. What was it that prompted you to take more than 2 grains???

RT3 will come down if you reduce your Westhroid dose. You do not have to go to straight T3.

Last edited by telus; 12-28-2012 at 08:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to telus For This Useful Post:
SHMILY (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

On those labs on Apr 28, 2010 my levels were not up to mid range, I still had hypo symptoms, so my Dr. wanted me to work up to 3 grains. I got up to 2 3/4 and had my first a-fib episode so went back down to 2 1/2 grains. When I got my most recent labs and saw that both ft3 and rt3 were over the range I went down to 2 grains. I had never been tested for RT3 until now. I just don't understand how my levels on 2 grains on labs done a few months ago were below mid-range,

The % over the median,........ is median the same as mid-range? MyT4 on those labs you were referring to was 1.3 Wouldn't that be exactly mid-range if the range is .8 - 1.8.

When I was on 2 grains, I had horrible symptoms and could hardly walk.

But I am glad to know that I don't have to take straight t3 to get my rt3 down. Thank you for your help and any other advice you could give me.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

=SHMILY;

I will throw in my 2 cents!

TSH.....................0.02
FT4.....................1.3............. .........Range 0.8 - 1.8
(1.3-0.8)/(1.8-0.8)*100= 50% of normal range

FT3.....................4.3............. .........Range 2.3 - 4.2
(4.3-2.3)/(4.2-2.3)*100= 105.3% of normal range

Reverse T3...........47.......................Ra nge 11 - 32
(47-11)/(32-11)*100= 171% of normal range

CRP.....................0.40............ ........<0.80

I was shocked when I got these labs and my FT3 and reverse T3 were over the range. I have not felt hyper, in fact I have had sever hypo symptoms such as aching so badly I would have to take Alleve, horrible "tendonitis like" aches and pain that move all around my body so bad I can hardly walk ( I actually have to scoot my feet with baby steps some days), soreness in neck muscles, and increased hair loss.

HyperT can cause these symptoms. Especially the aches and pains... I have so been there before.

Why would my FT3 go up so much when I am taking only a half grain of med. more than I took 30 yrs ago after I have had Hashi's for yrs too. I thought my thyroid was about gone because it has shunk so much and is so small. I have had multi nodules for the last 10 yrs, but am overdue for an ultrasound.

Could you be going through menopause? Have you been ill? Has your pharmacy swapped drug suppliers? Many things can cause your body to shift its ability to process thyroid hormone. I just had a t3 spike myself
Of recently. Mine was the result of not enough cortisol supplementation resulting in over conversion of t4 to t3. How is your adrenal health? When was the last time you checked cortisol levels?

I have read the the treatment for RT3 is to go on "T3 only" for a while but am concerned about this because of the a-fib (I have had 3 episodes in the past 1 1/2 yrs.) and now I wonder if this is what caused the a-fib. Should I decrease my meds, maybe not take them for a few days until I go for my Dr.'s appointment.

I would. Especially given the high t3 levels. When my t3 levels get too high I start have all sorts of heart issues.

I wanted your input before I go so I will understand more about reverse T3 and know some of the treatments because I am not sure she will know what I should do.

Could the high T3 and reverse T3 be causing all these symptoms?
In conjunction with low cortisol produced by adrenal fatigue or hypoadrenalism... It is possible. In my nonMD personal opinion and experience.
MG

Your input will be very much appreciated!!

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-03-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Reply Reply