It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
(male)

TT15 HB User
Possible thyroid condition? but free t4 is normal?

Hello, I haven't been feeling right for quite some time. Been to several doctors but no answers. The heat bothers me a lot in the summer and I get zapped from working in it quickly. I get feeling weak if I go long without eating. Also I fit a lot of symptoms of hyperthyroidism from what I have read online.

So I just went to the doc again and had more blood work done.

He did free T4 and TSH. Free T4 was 1.1 and TSH was 1.41 which are both in the normal range according to the sheet.

Should he have done the T3 test too?

I just don't know what to think.

My liver enzymes are elevated(80) but he said it isn't that high and probably just a fatty liver.

My red blood count is at the top of the range at 5.6 and hemoglobin 17.2 and hematocrit(50) are slightly elevated.

I have had these symptoms of just not feeling well the last few years and my liver enzymes are always slightly elevated and red blood cells are always at the top of the range too.

Any ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
(female)

mayfliesmayfly HB Usermayfliesmayfly HB User
Re: Possible thyroid condition? but free t4 is normal?

Some symptoms of hyperthyroidism:
weight loss, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, hair loss, palpitations, rapid heartbeat, sweating, diarrhea, weakness, eye/vision changes.

You should get your FT3 tested as well.

Also, do some research about Graves disease, which is the autoimmune condition.
The tests to get for that are:
Thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPOAb)
Thyroid stimulating hormone receptor antibody,
Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin
(TRAb, TSHR Ab, TSI)

The Following User Says Thank You to mayfliesmayfly For This Useful Post:
TT15 (12-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

No, you're not hyperthyroid with TSH like that. It would almost surely be below lab range if you were. FT4 would also be higher, although FT3 could be the excess hormone even accompanied by a "normal" FT4. Still, TSH would almost certainly be much lower.

You should focus on other conditions before this.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
TT15 (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
(male)

TT15 HB User

Thank you for the replies.

I am just lost on what could be wrong. Dr. says I am pre diabetic even though my A1c and the other are below the numbers for pre diabetes.

Thank you again.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
(male)

TT15 HB User

So would it be worth asking for a free T3 test? Or do the T4 and TSH levels pretty much assure that the T3 would be normal?

Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT15 View Post
Or do the T4 and TSH levels pretty much assure that the T3 would be normal?
Generally yes. However I remember seeing one case where TSH and FT4 were completely normal (nowhere near hyperT) but high FT3 (and symptoms) revealed hyperT.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 12-29-2012 at 05:39 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
TT15 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
(male)

TT15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
Generally yes. However I remember seeing one case where TSH and FT4 were completely normal (nowhere near hyperT) but high FT3 (and symptoms) revealed hyperT.
Wish he would have checked the T3 then. Guess I can ask when I go back. Thank you for your help.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

(This reply may show up twice. Apologies if it does.)

I remember the case of "T3 toxicosis" that FinnMaid mentions. There may have even been one or two others besides it, although I don't remember every case I've seen in 10 years.

At any rate, it's definitely worth running the free T3 test, even if its being high would be unusual.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
(male)

TT15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

I remember the case of "T3 toxicosis" that FinnMaid mentions. There may have even been one or two others besides it, although I don't remember every case I've seen in 10 years.

At any rate, it's definitely worth running the free T3 test, even if its being high would be unusual.

Hello sorry for not replying I forgot about this thread. I am supposed to go back to the doctor next month and I think I will ask for the free T3 test. I hate suggesting stuff sometimes because I feel like the Doctors feel like you are trying to act like you know something that they don't.

I still think I have something going on with my thyroid because there are times when I wil have trouble swallowing for a few days, being out in the heat for even 30 minutes just drains me. I also get anxiety and irritable at times.

Also instead of pre-diabetes I think it is actually something else going on with my pancreas or liver. I have recently started testing blood sugar just to see what it is when I get feeling weak and when I get in the 70s is when I feel bad. I can eat and 2 hours later be feeling weak and test low again so I feel I am overproducing insulin.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
(male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Quote:
My liver enzymes are elevated(80) but he said it isn't that high and probably just a fatty liver.

My red blood count is at the top of the range at 5.6 and hemoglobin 17.2 and hematocrit(50) are slightly elevated.

I have had these symptoms of just not feeling well the last few years and my liver enzymes are always slightly elevated and red blood cells are always at the top of the range too.
I'm assuming you are male as your profile says. One thing that I see often popping up, is hemochromatosis (elevated iron). Supposedly a lot of men (5%) have elevated iron due to a common genetic defect. One reason iron supplements are not recommended for men. You might ask about that. (I have no idea)

Also if you are male, checking testosterone is important as well. And also AM cortisol might be worthwhile. Any of those will cause hypo symptoms.

The Following User Says Thank You to gloom For This Useful Post:
TT15 (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
(male)

TT15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloom View Post
I'm assuming you are male as your profile says. One thing that I see often popping up, is hemochromatosis (elevated iron). Supposedly a lot of men (5%) have elevated iron due to a common genetic defect. One reason iron supplements are not recommended for men. You might ask about that. (I have no idea)

Also if you are male, checking testosterone is important as well. And also AM cortisol might be worthwhile. Any of those will cause hypo symptoms.
Yes I am male. Also my sex drive seems to have dropped and I am only 28 so I think that is a little early for that to be happening. SO maybe you are onto something with the testosterone.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
(male)

TT15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

Update! Went to the doctor and requested he do a free T3 test. He tested TSH, Free T3 and Free T4. TSH and T4 were normal. Free T3 was 4.35 which they said was a little high. Is that high enough to cause any of my symptoms like feeling exhausted when working in the heat? Thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT15 View Post
Free T3 was 4.35 which they said was a little high. Is that high enough to cause any of my symptoms like feeling exhausted when working in the heat?
You didn't post the reference range but from this case I mentioned earlier (and few others too) I know that it doesn't necessarily take much for it to be too much - for example this "T3 toxicosis friend" of mine still had her FT3 within range but her symptoms were obvious. (later we learned she was very sensitive to med changes and such so these personal differences need to be taken into account)

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-24-2013 at 09:30 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
TT15 (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #14
(male)

TT15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
You didn't post the reference range but from this case I mentioned earlier (and few others too) I know that it doesn't necessarily take much for it to be too much - for example this "T3 toxicosis friend" of mine still had her FT3 within range but her symptoms were obvious. (later we learned she was very sensitive to med changes and such so these personal differences need to be taken into account)
Thanks for the reply. I don't have the paperwork with the numbers I just asked what it was when they told me it was a little high but she(nurse) also said it wasn't a problem since I didn't have any symptoms(which is wrong I was there the day before and said the heat really bothers me).

I will ask for the paperwork when I go back in 1 month but I believe she said the normal range was 2.3-4 for free T3 and I was 4.35.

Thank you for the reply again!

Reply Reply