It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

svgegrdn HB User
Conflicting labs confused

I just had labwork done due to abnormal ANA. I was diagnosed with thyroid issues 12 years ago i was hyper. A year later i turned hypo and have been since. I was being tested for autoimmune due to a slightly elevated ana. My labs came back as this

TGAB. .6
Peroxidase antibody >1000
T4 free 1.00
Tsh 2.39
Ana 1:80

Im going back to doctor in three weeks but I'm confused about the results any thoughts. Im currently on synthroid 100mcg

Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
(female)

mayfliesmayfly HB Usermayfliesmayfly HB User
Re: Conflicting labs confused

Will you post the reference ranges, too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
(female)

svgegrdn HB User

Thyroglobulin. .6. Range 2.0-35
Peroxidase >1000. <35
T4 1.00. .58-1.64
Tsh 2.39. .34-5.6
Ana 1:80. <1:40
Thrroglibulin ab 201. <20

I thought it might be hashimotos but some of the results show graves so i thought i would ask your thoughts. This is my first time testing for antibodies etc

Last edited by svgegrdn; 12-30-2012 at 05:36 AM.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

None of those tests is for Graves'. The TSI antibody test is the one used for that.

The ANA is positive because the thyroid antibodies are. ANA is a non-specific test. Almost any autoimmune disorder out of the 80+ identified ones might show a positive ANA. Specific antibody testing - such as anti-thyroperoxidase or anti-thyroglobulin - is needed to identify the specific AI disease.

On the face of it, it's Hashimoto's. But that's less important than the fact that your Synthroid dose needs to be increased. You're hypothyroid at the moment. The reason for it - the Hashi's - is far less important. If you're having symptoms [You don't say?], it's because your hypothyroidism is not being optimally treated.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
(female)

svgegrdn HB User

Thanks for the reply. As far as symptoms id be better off listing the ones i dont have. As we all know trouble is finding someone who will treat based on symptoms. I only got this far because of a dermatologist and rheumatologist. Primary wouldnt do anything. I go back to the rheumy who ordered the tests in january

Symptoms
Eye floaters
Headaches
Muscle cramps
Cold spells
Hot spells
Anxiety
Palpitations
Tired
Dizzy spells
No appetite
Night sweats

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Your tests are Hashimotos positive. Graves is inconclusive with out a positive tsi antibody test or thyroid uptake confirmation. It is possible to have both. I do.. Both antibodies present tends to signal a quick death to your thyroid via a very wild hyperT hypot roller coaster.

Your results are Normal for early stages of Hashimotos. I would fight for an increase in your low level supplementation of your thyroid to cushion the trend for Hashimotos to drive you hypothyroid through the destruction of your thyroid.

You will get hyperT symptoms in conjunction with hypot symptoms. This comes from the spontaneous release of uncontrolled amounts of T4 and T3 when thyroid tissue is destroyed. This will lessen as your quantity of thyroid antibodies die off or the amount of available functional thyroid tissue dies off. It is a gradual annoying ongoing pain in the neck that we have to manage.

I did a happy dance when my thyroid was deemed dead. However I still have to go and get nodules ultrasound evaluated every year. At your stage I was begging for anyone to cut my thyroid out... But my MDs didn't go for unnecessary surgeries... What a shame it would have saved five years of see saw symptoms.

You are not alone. I am so sorry that you're going through this and can only hope things stabilize soon.

Sincerely,
MG

Reply Reply