It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

Missy1227 HB User
Finally got to see my new doctor. New blood work questions!

I first found out about my thyroid troubles in July of 2012. The doctor noticed my thyroid was large so he did blood work and my numbers came back with high antibody's TSH 0.058 (0.400-4200) FT4 0.6 (0.6-1.5) T3Free 3.8 (1.5-3.5). I was referred to an endocrinologist. To make a long story short I wasn't happy, so in September I decided to switch doctors and was finally able to be seen on the 28th of December! My blood work this time was TSH 2.431 FT4 0.7 same reference ranges. I haven't been on any meds since September. I just received the results this morning from my account online. I'm curious to know if these results will have me on medication or a watch and see. Personally I love this new doctor! Her personality was great! I really hope that how she treats me medically will be as great.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Finally got to see my new doctor. New blood work questions!

No guarantees. Nice doctors can be thyroid-dumb as frequently as grumpy ones.
I can easily see you have Hashimoto's. If you have symptoms, there shouldn't be a "wait and see" plan about it. It will only get worse without treatment.

I hope for your sake that she's as thyroid-savvy as she is nice.

As an aside, I'll say this: My sister is all about "nice" female doctors. She sees one of them herself and switched my invalid mom's care to this MD for various reasons. The MD put mom on a drug that was contraindicated for her health condition, so it caused a bleeding ulcer. Sis didn't blame the "nice" MD at all for prescribing an inappropriate drug, but thought the male gastro doc who had to clean up MD #1's mess wasn't nice enough. I much prefer an MD who's competent over one who's "nice". I can deal with grumpiness, but might not survive ineptitude. JMHO

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Finally got to see my new doctor. New blood work questions!

I concur with Midwest. It looks like the early stages of Hashimoto's.

The American association of endocrinology recommends treatment of Hashomotos with a TSH level of 2.5 or higher. If you have pituitary issues and your TSH doesn't respond accordingly to your actual T3 and T4 levels... Then low FTs can be used as treatment... I went through five endos and two internal medicine MDs before I found a practice with TWO THYROID SAVVY MDS! That is almost a miracle in itself there.... I was at 0% in FT4 and just over 2 in TSH when my MD started me on meds. My adrenals had failed by this time and I had other issues as well.

Fight to make sure you are thoroughly tested and start meds soon. Having positive antibody tests or biopsy tissue results indicating Hashimotos will add to your argument for treatment now. The other argument that might help is some nodules shrink once the thyroid is medicated. All the information we are sharing a good thyroid savvy MD will already know.

Good luck getting the treatment that you deserve.
MG

Reply Reply