It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

hub1947 HB User
Hyperparathyroids- Unable to Find My Glands

I am a 62 YO female. I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism about 3 years ago. My highest serum CA was 11 and my PTH is around 64. My 24 hr urine for Calcium runs over 575. I have had 3 Sestemibi scans all at different hospitals and four or five ultrasounds. None have revealed an adenoma or even positively spotted any of the 4 glands. Exploratory surgery was discussed at that time but then I started having severe short-term memory loss and for the last 2 years I have been diagnosed and treated for dementia (Now I am convinced that the memory loss is due to the high calcium). My CA reached 11 and now my Creatinine and GFR are abnormal indicating that the CA is causing damage to my kidney (I lost one as a result of an renal infarction years ago).

I did not mention my other symptoms but I have all the same ones that I see posted on this site. Every bone and joint in my body freezes up when I sit down. I think I am turning into a "Pillar of Salt". I also have an odd symptom- imbalance. I have not heard of hyperparathyroidism causing this one.

I was urged by my endocrinologist to have the exploratory surgery to save my one kidney and my osteopenic bones. After much research I found a new diagnostic tool- Fluoroscopy that is being used at Vanderbilt to identify the parathyroid glands. I made an appointment with Surgeon, Dr. James Broome at Vanderbilt hoping that he could find my glands prior to surgery. He said that he will use the fluoroscope during surgery to find the glands but it will not identify an adenoma and the tool cannot be used prior to surgery. I have been set up for surgery in early 2013 but I am very uneasy about loosing all but 1/2 of my parathyroid glands. I would like any advice I can get on whether or not to move forward with this exploratory surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

kselibrary76 HB Userkselibrary76 HB User
Re: Hyperparathyroids- Unable to Find My Glands

I am having exploratory surgery on February 26th in Chicago.

For 7 years I've had high calcium and normal PTH. 12% of Parathyroid patients present with this.

My scans show no adenomas. My surgeon tells me he looks at this as a good sign as they are likely right where they are supposed to be. If they were further down my neck they'd have shown up.

His belief is that for every 10 years you keep parathyroid disease you can figure on losing a bit of your life. The damage it causes to organs is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm going on faith that both surgeons and my endocrin are right and this will be worth it.

My symptoms:
MAJOR bone pain
Bone loss (spine predominent)
hair loss
ITCHING
muscle fatigue
general malais
inability to sleep
headaches

I'd go boldly into that surgery (and I am ) I know we are all individuals but if you are iffy, go get a second opinion, set your mind at rest and feel better!

Reply Reply

Tags
adenoma, hyperparathyroid, hyperparathyroidism, parathyroid