It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

thyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB User
Nodules and symptoms related?

Hi all. I've all but given up on getting any help from the medical field with my thyroid issues so have been trying to just get by. In addition to feeling choked, especially in bed, pain around the area (not IN the throat). ..I am now having some breathing issues. It's hard to describe. I don't have an issue with my lungs nor does it feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest. I don't and have never had asthma. I had upper endoscopy last year and all was fine with my esophagus.
Are these issues possibly related to the 8 some nodules on both sides of my thyroid? Some are over 1cm with one being 2cm. I can see them now on my neck, maybe growing? I snore and have issues swallowing, like it just doesn't work right.
The docs I've seen didn't see a need for an FNA (last one 13yrs ago) so I'm just stuck. Haha, excuse the pun. Guess I just want to know if I'm mental or are these issues real. I don't have anxiety that I'm aware of and am not worried, since from what I read here, if you have pain it's not likely cancer. It sure is irritating though. The ENT said it's all heartburn. I don't know that I could do anything about it even if it is thyroid related since I can't find a doc to help me.
Anyone have these symptoms?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Nodules and symptoms related?

If you have that many nodules they can definitely cause neck pain, i think you need an ENT that does very many thyroids per week and takes you more seriously.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
thyroidmess (01-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Ditto on Reese. I have an ENT and internal medicine md that treat means my hashi's graves battered thyroid. I only have two nodules, but I get routine ultrasounds because they are slowly growing despite TSH suppression with thyroid medication.

With new treatment rules my ENT biopsies any nodule 1cm in diameter or greater. If it has been 13 years I truly think it is time to get back out there and find some new MDs. My ENT would have had an FNA field day with your thyroid.

Mine are both 9 mm in diameter. He checks on them once a year hoping they will be large enough to stick! He does not like the one that has grown up on my isthmus. It likes to make me cough....

I truly can sympathize with your pain, however unless your start squeaking like a wheel and start MD shopping for a thyroid savvy MD again... You will just continue to suffer. Do not sufferer in silence. Misery loves company... Make the MDs miserable! It works for me. That and kicking five endos to the curb....

It is amazing how many thyroid MDums are out there. Please do not give up on yourself!

Sincerely,
MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
thyroidmess (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
(female)

thyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB User

Thanks for the info you two, I really appreciate it. I guess I'm not very strong when it comes to fighting those in the medical profession who treat anyone using the thyroid word like a hypochondriac. I give up, then try again and it goes on and on. I'm going to try an osteopathic ENT next. I'm really not a hypochondriac and it makes me ill how poorly docs treat people with thyroid issues. It's all heartburn? Really? I cough when I have to turn my head to the left, or tilt head up/back and in addition to everything else, I'm so depressed hence the giving up part. I so feel for all of us dealing with these issues in a world of uncaring docs. I think if I was confident in a doc who told me it's all in my head, maybe I'd believe them and let it go other than the pain and discomfort. But as it is, they've all been dismissive so I walk away. I guess I'll keep trying. Thanks again!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You have any supportive thyroid suffering family members? There is nothing in the rules saying you can not bring your mom, four aunts, and cousin to stare down your MD. If I could I would get in the MDs face for you, but I am across the country.

My family has henpecked and brow beat endos in three states though... Heck. I had one of the five I fired cross the street to avoid me once.. I just waved and smiled. Get riled up, get angry.. You deserve better, do not let them treat you like an ignorant speck of dust!

You know your body better than they do for crying out loud, you have to live in it every day! My mom is three states away. I have consulted with her endo via phone conference during appointments. Her second one is cool, the first one didn't believe the don't make me come over there comment. Needless to say the next day me and two of her sisters were in the waiting room for hours. We got the order for the blood work though.

Sometimes being nice and polite works other times...
It pays being a scotch Irish German Viking decent 5'2" female with multiple second degree black belts and an in your face attitude.... .

You are not alone and we believe you. Hopefully we can provide an outlet to vent and keep going. Post a new thread asking for an md recommendation in your area. You might get a lead on a GOOD knowledgable thyroid savvy md!

Miracles do happen!

MG

Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks for the pep talk! You have a nodule on isthmus? Mine is enlarged but don't think there's a nodule on it. My, I hope they can test it and get you some relief from that. Would they have to take your whole thyroid out to deal with that? I wish I had someone like you fighting for me but I need to step up and fight for myself, it's just so hard for me. My mom had thyroid cancer then died of esophagus cancer a year ago and I help my dad who has alzheimers. My sis has a goiter but I guess it's not causing her too many problems. I will try a thread for good docs in portland or. Thanks again

Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Given your family history I would suspect autoimmune thyroid disease of one form or another. If you all can group together you would have a decent pack to assist you.

Given the thyroid issues with your mom and cancer that is a red flag. Call around to ENT practices ask about MDs and appointment days. See if they have any ENTe that dedicate a day or two awesome for thyroid procedures alone.

My ENT has one day for surgeries and a long morning for ultrasound evals and FNAs. The rest of the days is devoted to sinus and ear stuff. If they do not invest in this time they may not be as knowledgeable about thyroid issues. Given your family history and size of your nodules an ENT should set you up for a quick ultrasound and biopsy follow up.

Don't give up! I am sure others will tell you the same thing. Good luck!
Sincerely,

MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
thyroidmess (01-04-2013)
Reply Reply

Tags
nodules