It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

Stellatum HB User
follow-up: daughter with mixed labs/symptoms

Hi, everyone. There's a lot of Graves in our family, so when my 21-year-old daughter started shaking and feeling her heart pound and race, I thought she was going hyperthyroid. The labs were normal--then slightly on the hyper side--then slightly on the hypo side--then mixed--then an uptake scan said Graves. Then she had many completely normal and stable labs for a year and a half. Meanwhile her symptoms have been coming and going. I thought she had hashitoxicosis that wasn't showing up in the lab-work.

I'm just writing to say that it looks like this was never a thyroid issue at all. As her symptoms get worse, it becomes clearer that this is an anxiety disorder, and what she has been experiencing is panic attacks.

I have Graves that was originally dismissed as "stress," and I'm well aware that thyroid disorders can get misdiagnosed as panic attacks and depression. But in this case, it seems to have been the other way around. I'm just following up in case our experience could be helpful to someone else.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stellatum For This Useful Post:
bb482 (01-02-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: follow-up: daughter with mixed labs/symptoms

I searched the archive to get the background of this.
Your daughter has appreciable TSI antibodies... Proof that she has Graves', even if it might happen not to yet be an active case. She also had a positive uptake scan for it.

She might have an anxiety disorder separate from the Graves', but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that Graves' is at least playing a part.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have seven family members in my family with Graves, Hashimoto's, or Hashimoto's and Graves.

All are serious conditions that need to be watched and monitored. Having been one of those with Hashimoto's and Graves I can personally attest to the pain and stress of knowing something is wrong with my body, having antibody proof out the waz and no MD willing to step I. And help because I was too young and blood work was normal in range.

If the antibodies are there it is only a matter of time. A good thyroid savvy md can help with diet regime, routine monitoring of blood levels and antibody activity as well as other supplementation.

I blame my thyroid for most everything... Because it is responsible for Sooooo much of my issues. I concur with Midwest. Do not rule out Graves yet. Was your daughter tested for Hashimoto's as well. It is possible to have both and having both changes symptoms and progression of thyroid destruction and failure. I have many threads out there on my initial thyroid war issues.

I wish you and your family the best!
MG

Old 01-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
(female)

Stellatum HB User

Thanks to both of you. I had forgotten about her TSI test. We do monitor her blood, and will continue to do so. I do think she has an anxiety disorder, for many other reasons, but you're right that we should be very vigilant for Graves, and maybe it's contributing to the anxiety problem. Thank you for reminding me.

Abby

Reply Reply