It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
(male)

stevefromsd HB User
Switching from Synthroid to Armour Thyroid

I'm not changing my does. I'm going from 100 mcg Synthroid to 1 grain Armour Thyroid. Is my Thyroid level going to drop at first until my Armour Thyroid builds up? If do, for howw long?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Switching from Synthroid to Armour Thyroid

Yeah! A chemistry well biochemistry question. I am not an MD, but chemistry is a favorite pass time of mine.

If you read your medication insert it will talk in detail about pharmokinetics and metabolic uptake and much more. The simple rule of thumb about t4 and t3 equilibrium is it takes time any time you have a medication change. Changing brands of t4 can cause a difference due to absorption rates and differences in fillers.

I suspect that you will experience a difference. I did and many others do.

Why? You are swapping from a t4 only medication to a t4 t3 combination. T4 change takes your body about 2 weeks to equilibrate in the blood symptoms can take up to 2-4 weeks after that to level out.

T3 is much faster acting. When I started adding Armour to my T4 only regime during my pregnancy it was like an instant jolt of energy. It takes 3-7 days to level out in the blood chemistry and then another week or two for your physical symptoms or body to catch up.

Do not be surprised to experience a bit of heart racing, increase in blood pressure, hot flashes, and other issues initially on Armour. The T3 packs a kick and gets into your system quickly. When I started adding it I was told to split it in half and take half fasting in the morning and half with my supper... Then work to all fasting after a week.

I strongly recommend keeping a symptom log and keeping in close contact with your md during this transition. Know also that pure Armour may not be the fix for you either. You may need something in between. Two of my aunts need a mix of Armour and t4 to be optimal. Getting the right thyroid supplementation dose for you will require a close and good relationship with your MD.

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK... Ugh caps lock.. There is a lot of experience floating about here. Hopefully you find this information helpful.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply