It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

BrodTob HB User
Reason to be Nervous?

Not sure I should be worried about this but...I had a full physical in May 2012 and no thyroid enlargement noted. In Oct 2012 I discovered a nodule on my neck. MD said it was a goiter - had a thyroid ultrasound in Dec 2012. RN only told me I had multinodular goiter and they would refer me to endocinologist. The ultrasound report sound ominous to me but what do I really know?

Ultrasound report showed:

Right lobe measures about 5.6 x 2.7 x 3.1 cm and left lobe measures 5.5 x 2.5 x 2.4 cm. Both lobes are nodular in contour and heterogeneous in echotexture with irregular areas of mixed density throughout both lobes. Increased doppler blood flow is also demonstrated throughout both lobes. The isthmus measures about 5mm.

An oval 1.4 x 1.1 x 0.8 cm hypoechoic nodule with central cystic area and hypoechoic rim is identified the mid left lobe of the thyroid posteriorly. Doppler blood flow is identified around the periphery of this nodule. No discrete nodules of the right lobe are identified.

So is the report as ominous I think it is or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

The following user gives a hug of support to BrodTob:
mkgbrook (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Reason to be Nervous?

It actually reads a lot like my thyroid ultrasounds. It sounds like Hashimotos thyroid destruction. It is very specific. You can identify Hashimotos by the tale tell tissue destruction or an antibody panel. Checking antibodies and finding them can tell you how active the autoimmune thyroid demolished is if you have Hashimotos. I wouldn't stress out at this time. Wait and hear what your md has to say. Look into finding a good ENT to track and follow your thyroid in addition to a md to look at blood work.

Gotta go the three year old is crying...

MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
jade8187 (01-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

BrodTob HB User
Re: Reason to be Nervous?

Thanks! I had looked at Hashimoto before and thought my symptoms sounded similar but when I brought it up at my last appointment they told me my TSH (0.34) was within normal limits. The internet is a good tool though it seems there are a lot of contradictions from site to site and it makes it really confusing as to know when to be concerned or not be concerned. Thanks again for your reply!

Reply Reply