It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
(male)

youngguy1 HB User
20 years old, thyroid antibody test

my mother has a thyroid disorder, which she found out about recently. with that said, she thought it would be a good idea for me to have some blood work done. i am 20 years old by the way

had an endocrinologist do the blood work, i believe he ran all the thyroid related tests. he told me all tests came back negative, but the antibody test came back with a result of 12. he said up to "30" is normal, but ideally, one should have 0 antibodies

he gave me 6 weeks sample of Synthroid (levothyroxine sodium). 75 mcg dosage

i have not started taking them yet because i want to do some research before taking it

at this point in my life, what are the advantages/disadvantages of beginning to take Synthroid?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: 20 years old, thyroid antibody test

Welcome to the female dominated realm of thyroid misery....

First question to you is...

Do you have any symptoms of thyroid disease?

Do not medicate unless you need to...once you start you may not be able to stop. Thyroid medication is funny that way. Thyroids have been known to take a permanent holiday after medication trials.

Here is a bit of my back story I am third generation autoimmune thyroid disease sufferer. My momma has it, her momma too. I have two kids. My son is 10 and my daughter is 3. I test them yearly for antibodies, TSH, and free TS. This allows for us to have a running profile of thyroid health and cat h any changes in there normal states.

Autoimmune thyroiditis and Graves' disease have definite triggers. At birth due to pregnancy placenta cross over of antibodies from mom to child, puberty, pregnancy, menopause, mononucleosis, radiation exposure, and certain drugs.

Now you are male and 20. So the two triggers most relevant to you would be puberty and mono? Possibly.

What was your actual TSH? Was it between .89-1.1? That would be optimal..
What were your Free T3 and Free T4 values? 50-80% of normal range?

Unless you have signs of thyroid dysfunction I would not worry about such a small quantity of antibodies.. Yes they are there and lurking.. But not active YET. So if everything is normal for now..I would just make a thorough thyroid panel including antibodies a part of your yearly physical. Also educate yourself on the symptoms of dysfunction so you can jump on it with both feet if it ever arises..

Thanks for posting and stepping up to the plate. I try to be open with my son he has a 20% chance of developing graves or Hashimotos thanks to my genetics... My daughter has a 60% chance. My son likes his odds in comparison to his sister...

Mg

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
sweetpotato13 (01-06-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
(male)

youngguy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Welcome to the female dominated realm of thyroid misery....

First question to you is...

Do you have any symptoms of thyroid disease?

Do not medicate unless you need to...once you start you may not be able to stop. Thyroid medication is funny that way. Thyroids have been known to take a permanent holiday after medication trials.

Here is a bit of my back story I am third generation autoimmune thyroid disease sufferer. My momma has it, her momma too. I have two kids. My son is 10 and my daughter is 3. I test them yearly for antibodies, TSH, and free TS. This allows for us to have a running profile of thyroid health and cat h any changes in there normal states.

Autoimmune thyroiditis and Graves' disease have definite triggers. At birth due to pregnancy placenta cross over of antibodies from mom to child, puberty, pregnancy, menopause, mononucleosis, radiation exposure, and certain drugs.

Now you are male and 20. So the two triggers most relevant to you would be puberty and mono? Possibly.

What was your actual TSH? Was it between .89-1.1? That would be optimal..
What were your Free T3 and Free T4 values? 50-80% of normal range?

Unless you have signs of thyroid dysfunction I would not worry about such a small quantity of antibodies.. Yes they are there and lurking.. But not active YET. So if everything is normal for now..I would just make a thorough thyroid panel including antibodies a part of your yearly physical. Also educate yourself on the symptoms of dysfunction so you can jump on it with both feet if it ever arises..

Thanks for posting and stepping up to the plate. I try to be open with my son he has a 20% chance of developing graves or Hashimotos thanks to my genetics... My daughter has a 60% chance. My son likes his odds in comparison to his sister...

Mg
Thanks for the awesome response! I'm going to contact the doctor and get the exact lab results and post back.

The doctor mentioned Hashimoto's disease to me. He said it was a possibility (not sure if this is just a type of thyroid disease).

The symptoms I do have:

- constipation
- sensitive to cold
- increased blood pressure
- fatigue
- somewhat of a hoarse voice

What exactly are the major side effects of taking Synthroid? Would it be a bad idea to go through the first prescription (6 weeks), and see if it helps? I believe I read hair loss can be one of the side effects, and if that is the case, I definitely do not want to take these pills at such a young age.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
(male)

Davidl1978 HB User

I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm a 34 male and I'm having really bad symptoms of Hashimoto's Disease. My mother and maternal grandmother both have thyroid disease. I'm glad you are being proactive and getting checked early, that's important. I saw an endo on Wednesday and he did some blood work. My TSH was 1.04 and T4 was 0.88. I have the scales, but only remember that they are on the low side of normal. I haven't got my TPOab results yet, but he believes that it will come back positive. My thyroid is also swollen and I have several nodules. I will see the endo again Wednesday. Hopefully he can help me, i've been feeling pretty lously for about 2 1/2 years.

Reply Reply