It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
(male)

gentlemike1 HB User
too much methimazole

toxic nodule caused hyperthyroid,been on methimazole for 2 minths.thyroid normal accord to endo.he did not lower my dose,still taking 30mg a day.10 in am 20 in pm.feeling anxiety again and much leg pain and back pain
think i am going hypo now
called him and asked why he didnt lower dosage when he found out normal and he just said ai need new bloodwork
dont like this dr.he says my anxiety wasnt from the hyperthyroid and refused to give me anti anxiety drugs.
says i need shrink
i know myself,i never had anxiety til now
what is wrong with these drs?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: too much methimazole

Endos are known in the thyroid patient community as generally inept with thyroid disease, especially hypOthyroidism. With hyperthyroidism, we must throw ourselves on their mercy, because it's even more tricky to treat than hypoT. GPs and internists usually want no part of treating hyperT.

That said, if this endo's arrogance is as you portray it, you will probably have to find another MD if you want to be optimally treated.

Is this guy testing not just your TSH, but your free T4 and free T3 as well? TSH is a pituitary hormone and only an indirect indication of thyroid status. Free T4/3 are the actual thyroid hormones, and they are what determine whether there will be symptoms or not.

If you have indeed gone hypo, it will show in the free Ts; they'll be below lab median. If your TSH is above 1.5-2.0, that's another sign. Do you have labs to share so we can help you interpret them?

Your dose is quite high, and there's every possibility your suspicion about going hypo is true. Educate yourself on proper treatment so that you'll get that which is best for you. Patient self-advocacy is vital when it comes to thyroid disease.

Best of luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply