It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

goldencubs HB User
Need advice about meds after partial thyroidectomy

Hi Everyone,

Hoping you all rang in 2013 in good health =)

I had a partial thyroidectomy in Oct. due to a nodule (was not cancerous). About 6 weeks after that I started to feel terrible. I had been on thyroid meds before surgery (and continued after surgery) due to hypo symptoms and never felt great but things got even worse.

Doc checked my levels on Nov.11/3012 and here's what he found:

TSH 4.28 (the highest it's ever been) 0.26-2.66
T4 0.9 0.8-1.8
T3 total 121 76-181

Of course, those are all the tests he ran :/

My Levothyroxine was raised from 25 to 50 mcgs & I stayed on 2.5 of Liothyronine. I don't feel much better at all and now I feel as though my ferritin has dropped again as well ( a common problem for me).

I feel depressed and defeated and honestly don't know what to do anymore. I am so breathless and tired that I can't even exercise. My doctor didn't even think I needed T3. I chose him because he was the best of the worst and he did find my nodule when no one else did but he isn't a modern thinker (but also listens to me to a fair extent).

So, out of my desperation, my questions for you are...Do I raise my T4? Maybe I need more T3? Should I try Armour or Nature Throid?

My symptoms are: breathlessness, muscle/joint aches, fatigue, weakness, foggy thinking.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am beginning to think this will always be my life.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Need advice about meds after partial thyroidectomy

If you've been on 50 mcg/2.5 mcg since November 11, it's time to have labs done again and to increase your dose(s) if your TSH is still above 1. If your MD resists that, persuade him to let you target your TSH to 1, or even to the bottom of its range. There's no guarantee that even that low a TSH will provide total symptom relief, because the T3 you're taking will keep your TSH suppressed. But targeting a lower TSH is a start, if you can't get him to agree to monitor your free Ts as he should.

Ultimately, you may never get optimal treatment from this MD, so you should be prepared to go doctor-shopping if you must. Good luck to you.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
(female)

goldencubs HB User
Re: Need advice about meds after partial thyroidectomy

Midwest1,

Could you expand a little on this...

"There's no guarantee that even that low a TSH will provide total symptom relief, because the T3 you're taking will keep your TSH suppressed."

I don't understand what you mean about the T3.

I will ask for a bloodtest on Monday but I have a feeling that I will have to raise my T4 a bit. My mom also had a partial thyroidectomy (she has Hashi's) and she is on 62.5 mcgs of Levothyroxine as opposed to my 50 mcgs.

Do most people always contunue to have some symptoms or are there some that return to "normal?"

Thanks so much everyone! Your help is much appreciated.

Reply Reply