It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
(female)

New thyroid pat HB User
Went for FNA yesterday, learned the radiologist miss read my sonogram

My original Post:

I was diagnosed in Aug with Hypothyroid, I then started taking levothyroxine 75 daily. After noticing swelling in my neck my dr sent me for a scan and uptake along with ultra sound. The scan report stated uniform uptake except for a small area of nonuniformity In lower pole if the left lobe,however no corresponding anatomical abnormality in this area on ultra sound. Uptake at 5 hours 6.5% at 20 hours 11.3%.
The ultra sound report states right lobe measures 1.3 x 4.1x 1.3 cm, a 3x3 x4 mm nodule within the lateral portion of the right tyroid lobe. Also an ill defined 7x8 mm nodule within the midportion of the tyroid love.
The left thyroid love measures 1.3x 4.1x1.3cm no modules are noted .
Impression: multiple subcentimeter modules with in the right tyroid lobe, these are not large enough or suspicious in appearance to recommend biopsy.

At my appt today the doctor scheduled a biopsy with the radiology dept in January. So I guess my question is, if they do not recommend biopsy isn't just a waste if time to go ahead with it. Any one with more experience and knowledge with knowledge or experience with this has any information to share I would appreciate it! Thanks

***My Endo said don't worry about this, it is normal for Hashimoto patients, My Pcp got a copy if the soon and ordered a FNA, feeling I was wastin time I went ahead to my appt. The radiologist came in ( this is a University Hospital) and apologized and said the actual size of the 7 x 8 mm ill defined nodule was 1.2 x 1.5 cm ill defined with calcifacation and stated that the resident who miss read the soon was removed from my case. If my Pcp had not insisted on the FNA this would if been totally missed. The FNA took 2 hours due to the calcifacation in the nodule, it was hard to get the needle into. The radiologist who performed the procedure tap my leg at the end of the visit, and jokingly said I hope you are not attached to this Tyroid. I am totally confused at this point and am wondering what this all means. Of coarse it's the weekend and I have to wait till Monday to speak to my PCP

Last edited by New thyroid pat; 01-05-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Entered wrong information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
(female)

New thyroid pat HB User
Re: Went for FNA yesterday, learned the radiologist miss read my sonogram

Any similar stories with nodule experience appreciated

Last edited by New thyroid pat; 01-05-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Went for FNA yesterday, learned the radiologist miss read my sonogram

They got a sample, after two hours I'm sure they got a decent one, and I guess you will have to wait for the results. These can even be benign even if they are calcified---in other types of nodules calcification indicates cancer, but this is not necessarily true in thyroid nodules.

This is not a very large nodule, and there's no emergency here. You will have to take it step by step, if the results are suspicious you may have to find out what's going on after removal of at least the lobe. It the thyroid is as small as described, it's already been diseased for quite a while. Take it slow, you will see what to do next,

Reply Reply

Tags
calcification, fna, thyroid