It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
(male)

HM37 HB User
Normal TSH but hypothyroidism symptoms

Hi I went to see a doctor in late summer because of symptoms I was having like lack of energy, low libido, brain fog etc and got bloodwork done. TSH came out as 3.57 and the top end of the range was 4.2. However I read on sites that in America (I'm in UK) endocrinologists want it between 0.3-3. My symptoms have got worse recently, have no motivation or drive, quite sensitive to cold, appalling concentration, depressed mood, brain fog (which I've had for years) and general lack of energy, feel restless, bad short term memory, really low libido, waking unrefreshed after a good night's sleep. I'm 19 years old, male, work out 3 times a week and eat a good diet, so some of these symptoms are surprising especially libido. Is it likely I have hypothyroidism? Any advice is welcomed

Last edited by HM37; 01-05-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
(female)

mayfliesmayfly HB Usermayfliesmayfly HB User
Re: Normal TSH but hypothyroidism symptoms

I'm 25, and an endocrinologist told me that if my TSH got over 3 that she would treat me. From my understanding, when you're younger, your TSH should be on the lower side. Therefore, a 19 year old with a TSH over 3 is going to have a lot more symptoms than a 50 year old. Doing some research about this and talking to your doctor might help.

You should have your Free T3 and Free T4 checked as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to mayfliesmayfly For This Useful Post:
HM37 (01-05-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
(female)

mudskipper HB User

It's difficult in the UK - the advice is not to treat until TSH goes > 10.
I've finally started treatment (TSH has been > 5 for years, but I didn't have the knowledge to push before) but progress is frustratingly slow - I'm about 12 weeks in and only slight improvement (possibly less brain fog). My doctor still does not believe my symptoms (similar to yours) are caused by a thyroid issue, but agreed to a trial of treatment to see if they improved.
You're possibly going to have even more of a battle than me as your TSH is in the 'normal' range. Ask if you can get Free T4 tested too, and if it comes back below the middle of the range, ask if you can have a trial of treatment. Someone on here pointed me at a study which shows the average TSH - which is around 1.5 depending on gender, ethnicity and age.
I'm intending to print this off and take it with me to my next appointment to argue for a dose increase until I'm down to this average on TSH and/or above the middle of the range on Free T4. Then, if I still don't feel better, I'll look for a different cause.

Last edited by mod85; 01-06-2013 at 02:14 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to mudskipper For This Useful Post:
HM37 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
(male)

HM37 HB User

Thank you for the replies, I will go back and see my doctor

Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
(female)

mayfliesmayfly HB Usermayfliesmayfly HB User

From my understanding, it can take awhile to get the right dose and kind of medication. If you really believe that you have hypothyroidism, then don't let the doctors make you believe otherwise. Do you research and stand strong. Most people have to go through many, many doctors before finding one who knows what they're talking about and willing to listen.

The Following User Says Thank You to mayfliesmayfly For This Useful Post:
HM37 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Normal varies. For me, over 2.0 and I start having hypo symptoms. My doc and I try to keep me under 2.0.

Your doctor should be treating your symptoms, not denying you are sick because a blood test says you're borderline. My first doc did that. It delayed treatment for my thyroid disease- Hashimotos- for 9 years. I finally changed doctors and now am receiving treatment.

The Following User Says Thank You to EagleRiverDee For This Useful Post:
HM37 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

HM37;

I am glad that you have stopoed in to join us.

It is difficult no matter where you are in the world to get treat ment for hypothroidism. On average in the US some with a thyroid conditon may have to see 7 different MDs before one listens to them. Being a 19 year old male that puts you in a lower percentage group for developing thyroid issues. Thyroid dysfunction. S four times more likely in females than males. Most males suffer from an autoimmune thyroid disease trigger like Hashimotos.

As a result, have you asked about in your family to see if there is a trend?

For example I have Hashimotos and Graves' disease. Yes you can have both.. It is a thyroid war zone for a few years.. Then hasimotos wins. When I suspected I started asking family members to find my mother and her four sisters and her mom had been suffering for years with thyroid issues. Two had had thyroidectomies! They felt they had to sufferer in silence. That changed when I got our clan on the thyroid warpath. Now we are much happier, but like bulls in a china shop when visiting endos. We have been known to pack hunt them... It helps them take you seriously when they fear you a wee bit.

There are red flags that get more immediate responses: chronic soar throat and hoarseness, swelling of the thyroid and thyroid nodules, subnormal free t4 and free t3 levels. And the presence of antibodies. Hyperthyroid tends to get treated more aggressively than hypothyroid. Bot living long term in either state can cause chronic premature failure of key systems. If anyone questions that they can ta to my adrenal glands....

Do you have any of the red flag symptoms listed above?
Have you ever palpated your own thyroid? It can be difficult to feel. Ofttimes an enlarge thyroid early on is like a chronic lump in the throat. The best technique for feeling your thyroid is to lay on your back with a rolled pillow under your neck. Point your chin toward the ceiling and feel the region where your collarbones meet at the base of your throat. If you can feel it, it is most likely enlarged. It is best to get an ENT to check this and do an ultrasound if possible. Not all general MDs are good at physically inspecting a thyroid.

Mine with two nodules is pretty easy to inspect and feel.

Have you had a thyroid ultrasound? Additional blood work and an ultrasound would be what I would push for if I was in your shoes. Given the worsening of symptoms, I strongly urge you to go back to the doctor and insist on a full thyroid panel being run including thyroid antibodies. hashimotos and graves antibodies can result in suppression of tsh thus resulting in false readings. My children 10 and 4 get a full thyroid panel with antibodies once a year as part of their physical. Why?

Autoimmune lineages run true. I am third generation at least and my children have an increased probablitity (20% for my son and 60% for my daughter). These odds of developing thyroid disease would be worse if it ran in my husbands line as well. Luckily they just get cholesterol issues and high blood pressure for his side. I will be there to fight for them both in the case a thyroid issues arises.

In addition you should test your iodine level. Low iodine intake can result in suppression if thyroid function. In the US this is rare because we get all the iodine we need and more from iodized salt. Other countries vary on this source.

I strongly believe that you are hypothyroid. The question now is why? What is the source of this dysfunction. For that you need an md will to run the proper tests, listen to your symptoms and treat you accordingly. I truly help that we can assist you in getting the answers and treatment that you deserve!

Best regards.
MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
HM37 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
(male)

HM37 HB User

I'm still thinking of what the best thing is to say to my doctor. I realise that as a 19 year old male, having hypothyroidism is rare (but as you said it might be an autoimmune problem), but I want an explanation for my TSH and my symptoms which I am really tired of.

No-one else in my family has a thyroid condition that I know of. My throat isn't sore and my thyroid doesn't feel enlarged. How would I test my iodine level?

I feel like my symptoms are explained in part by a thyroid issue, however unlikely. It would be interesting to take medication to see if they go away. Thanks for the info, now I need to present a case to my doctor to get more tests done...

Last edited by HM37; 01-06-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
(male)

HM37 HB User

Update-saw doctor today. Told him about my symptoms and that they haven't got better, and brought hypothyroidism into the conversation. I have a blood test tomorrow morning.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hm37,

Hopefully you are getting a full thyroid panel. Just reiterating again. I am not a MD. I am one of many in my clan experienced in handling and managing our thyroid care. I wish the MDs could once trusted to do it, but that is not their job. They often do not manage us because we are one face in thousands they see a year. We have to follow up with routine blood work requests and medication adjustments and any other testing we may feel necessary.

My 3 year old is down with high fevers and lung funk, so my visits may be more sporadic over the next few days. I think I managed three hours sleep last night.. Maybe..

Tests to double check on and get the tech to confirm they are drawing blood and running are the thyroid antibody panel

TPOAb and TGAb.

Iodine levels are also a blood test. Your md just needed to check the appropriate box and they will use the blood the draw tomorrow.

TSH, ft4 and ft3 I also recommend however being male as long as you do not have an estrogen odominance issue the total t4 and total t3 tests will not have as big a deviation error source as they do with women...

Other things that can effect thyroid function cortisol levels and other adrenal byproducts estrogen, progesterone, and many more... Thyroid hormone resistance, this can be seen in reverse t3 and t4 uptake behavior in conjunction with your ft levels... Humm trying to think of other stuff. Lack of sleep is almost as bad as hypothyroidism with regards to resulting brain fog...

I truly wish you the best. Get a copy of the labs sent to you soon as they come in.. And I always double check with the tech to make sure everything is ordered that was supposed to be. Otherwise the tech can call back the md and get approval to check the additional boxes left off. If I think of something else that I have learned and has helped me over the years I will reply again to your thread.

Best regards and well wishes!
MG

Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #11
(male)

HM37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Hm37,

Hopefully you are getting a full thyroid panel. Just reiterating again. I am not a MD. I am one of many in my clan experienced in handling and managing our thyroid care. I wish the MDs could once trusted to do it, but that is not their job. They often do not manage us because we are one face in thousands they see a year. We have to follow up with routine blood work requests and medication adjustments and any other testing we may feel necessary.

My 3 year old is down with high fevers and lung funk, so my visits may be more sporadic over the next few days. I think I managed three hours sleep last night.. Maybe..

Tests to double check on and get the tech to confirm they are drawing blood and running are the thyroid antibody panel

TPOAb and TGAb.

Iodine levels are also a blood test. Your md just needed to check the appropriate box and they will use the blood the draw tomorrow.

TSH, ft4 and ft3 I also recommend however being male as long as you do not have an estrogen odominance issue the total t4 and total t3 tests will not have as big a deviation error source as they do with women...

Other things that can effect thyroid function cortisol levels and other adrenal byproducts estrogen, progesterone, and many more... Thyroid hormone resistance, this can be seen in reverse t3 and t4 uptake behavior in conjunction with your ft levels... Humm trying to think of other stuff. Lack of sleep is almost as bad as hypothyroidism with regards to resulting brain fog...

I truly wish you the best. Get a copy of the labs sent to you soon as they come in.. And I always double check with the tech to make sure everything is ordered that was supposed to be. Otherwise the tech can call back the md and get approval to check the additional boxes left off. If I think of something else that I have learned and has helped me over the years I will reply again to your thread.

Best regards and well wishes!
MG
Just got a standard blood test, with only TSH measured. Got results back today, TSH was 2.61, so I'm pleased that it is lower. I will go back to doctor in a few months if symptoms don't improve.

Last edited by HM37; 01-10-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I really think you need to press for more tests now. That slight increase could easily be a sign of a slight t3 bump, while t4 levels are in the pits. The longer one languishes in an untreated or under treated hypothyroid state the more chances something like your adrenals fail. Once again this is just my personal nonMD opinion.

MG

Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
(male)

aspab HB User

If modern medicine does not help in cure , then you can take , Ashwagandha Capsules ( herbal medicine from India ) 2 tablets , 3 times a day ... it will make all the difference in your symptoms. It has been tried for thousand of years in India and has worked well,

Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
(male)

HM37 HB User

Quote:
I really think you need to press for more tests now. That slight increase could easily be a sign of a slight t3 bump, while t4 levels are in the pits. The longer one languishes in an untreated or under treated hypothyroid state the more chances something like your adrenals fail. Once again this is just my personal nonMD opinion.

MG
Ok, I'll probably see another doctor and ask him for full tests. It is kind of annoying that doctors don't seem aware/concerned enough to fully rule everything out

Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #15
(male)

HM37 HB User

Quote:

MG
It's kind of annoying how doctors don't fully investigate...I'll probably try another doctor and get full tests done

Reply Reply