It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
(male)

Davidl1978 HB User
Help w/ Bloodwork

I'm curious about what these results mean, if anything.

FT4- 0.3 (0.0-9.0)
TSH- 1.06 (.30-4.0)
TPO AB- 0.3 (0.0-9.0)
Vitamin D- 15.3 (30.0-100.0)

I'm having many hypo symptoms:

Fatigue
Depression
Difficult concentrating/thinking
Sensitive to cold
Constipation
Occasional raspy voice
Forgetfulness

My endo did a sonogram and told me I had one nodule that was .3cm and several smaller nodules. My thyroid is also "slightly enlarged."

Any thought? I have an appointment in a few days.
Thanks in advanced!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
(female)

alliebeth88 HB User
Re: Help w/ Bloodwork

I'm confused and slightly worried at the lab considering 0.0 a "normal" range for FT4! Your vitamin D is very low; you will probably be put on supplements.

I would keep track of those nodules in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebeth88 View Post
I'm confused and slightly worried at the lab considering 0.0 a "normal" range for FT4!
Agreed. Best to check the FT4 result and the reference range for it, those numbers don't look right.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The TPO range looks odd, although it could just be odd.
Please clarify these.

Last edited by midwest1; 01-08-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
(male)

Davidl1978 HB User

Sorry, the FT4 range is .60-2.00. The TPO range is correct.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
(female)

comanchesue HB User

You've made an error in the ranges for your Ft4-could you look at the lab report and correct?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If your FT4 is .3 and the range is .6 - 2.0, then you're extremely hypothyroid. That would explain your symptoms.

Hopefully, the new doctor won't just look at your perfectly normal TSH and pronounce all is well, because it isn't. Your labs suggest secondary hypothyroidism... That is, low thyroid levels due to pituitary dysfunction rather than thyroid gland failure.

Let us know what happens at your appointment.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
(male)

Davidl1978 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
If your FT4 is .3 and the range is .6 - 2.0, then you're extremely hypothyroid. That would explain your symptoms.

Hopefully, the new doctor won't just look at your perfectly normal TSH and pronounce all is well, because it isn't. Your labs suggest secondary hypothyroidism... That is, low thyroid levels due to pituitary dysfunction rather than thyroid gland failure.

Let us know what happens at your appointment.
I saw the Dr. and he put me on 25mg of Synthroid and 5,000 units of Vitamin D3. He said I could be in the beginning stages of Hashimoto's, but he want to observe me regularly and see what happens. in the meantime he wants to treat my symptoms so I can start feeling better.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Like Midwest I strongly suspect you have a two fold issue. Hypothyroid t4 levels with normal to optimal t3 levels, which points to an adrenal deficiency issues. Predominantly low to low normal cortisol levels.

In cases like this (I was in your boat for YEARS) you need to supplement the adrenal deficiency in tandem with thyroid treatment. Just treating low t4 with out following your t3 levels can result in hyperT t3 levels hypot t4 levels and even worse adrenal issues. I found that out the hard way, personally.

I strongly believe that you have an issue and need to find a GOOD md to assist you in treating it! Look for very little change in your t4 levels in a few weeks and a jump in your t3 levels which will also show up in TSH suppression. If this occurs I would place money on you needing adrenal support in the form of cortisol supplementation.

I truly hope this md of yours is great! Good luck and best regards!

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-12-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Typos, ugh!

Reply Reply