It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
(female)

fallin apart HB Userfallin apart HB Userfallin apart HB User
Changing to Armor? Dose question

Since I had my right thyroid lobe removed July 5th, I just haven't been right. I was formerly on 50 mcg before surgery and now I am up to 100 mcg of synthroid! That is double! And it is not working!
Still my skin is sooo dry even prescription lotion does not help...even my eye lids are dry...who knew that was even possible! And I just keep gaining weight which is very disturbing to me...I went for my annual OBGYN visit today and I had gained 5 more pounds in about 3 months! Yikes! What really pisses me off about this is I have actually started doing cardio exercise every night for 30 minutes and have cut my daily calories by about 300...I should be LOOSING weight NOT gaining!
So anyway today I finally made it in for my blood to be tested (been on 100 mcg for about 6 weeks now)...and the RN calls and says....Dr. D wants to increase your synthoid to 112! As calmly as possible I reminded the RN that my last visit the doc and I talked about synthroid and my desire to try something else as it just does not seem to be working for me. So she called me back and starting tomorrow I switch to Armor....a dose of 90.

So what do you think? I don't want to go hyper! Is Armor a LOT more effective?
She tested my T3, T4 free and TSH. Don't have results yet but plan to stop by tomorrow to get a copy.
Sorry, I know it's what I asked for, but now that I got it I'm a bit stressed...I don't like new meds they make me nervous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User
Re: Changing to Armor? Dose question

fallin apart

90 mg Armour contains 57 mcg T4 + 14 mcg T3. So it's less than what you are currently taking. Unlikely to make you hyper; much more likely to leave you hypo. Presumably the doc is planning on ramping up the Armour.

Would be best to review the latest labs before starting anything.

In a 2001 research paper I found, doctors treated 278 hypo patients with NDT they found that the average dose was 200 mg Armour (3.3 grains). This translates into 127 T4 plus 30 T3.

I strongly suggest you look at:
Mistakes Patients Make (or their Doctors make for them!)

Last edited by telus; 01-09-2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Armour changed from mcg to mg. (Thanx MW1)

Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Armour is dosed in milligrams, not micrograms. Ninety mgs is the rough equivalent of between 111 and 150 mcgs of levothyroxine. In a situation where absorption is nearly total and conversion of T4 to T3 is ideal, the 90 mgs is closer to 150 mcgs. For the average person with less than ideal conversion and absorption, it's closer to 111 mcgs.

It isn't that Armour is a "lot more effective". It's just different. It contains the active hormone T3 in addition to the storage hormone T4. (Synthroid is T4 only.) Just as not every patient gets along well with Synthroid, not everyone will get along with Armour, either. (But I hope you will. )

No particular brand or type of thyroid hormone works the same way for all patients. It's a matter of trial and error to find the one, at the right dose, that will work for you.

You don't have to be nervous about taking thyroid hormone. It isn't a "drug" in the sense that it changes body chemistry or function the way most Big Pharma designer drugs do. It's a processed version of the same hormone your own gland would be making if it could. You're meant to have it in the same amount your gland would make. In the optimal dose for you, there should be no side effects to it.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
(female)

fallin apart HB Userfallin apart HB Userfallin apart HB User

Today I tried to convince the pharmacy to give me (3)30's to equal (1)90 so I can try 60 first but they said no. Or more specifically "this is the dose your doctor wants you on"
Don't get me wrong I am very happy to be trying something different. I just have a hard time with new meds. They make me very nervous.
No luck yet getting up with the RN at doc's office. I really wanted a copy of my labs before I started the Armour.
Like you mentioned. I had read that 90 Armour is roughly equal to 111 to 150 of synthroid. Since she was upping my Synthroid to 112, I am not worried about the LOW end. I AM worried about it being more like 150 of Synthroid for me...I just wish I was given the option of graduating it up.

Reply Reply