It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
(male)

Northtexas HB User
new guy, need help deciphering labs

I've been told on a different board that I have Hashi's. It seemed like a somewhat knee-jerk diagnosis. Wanted to see what you all thought of these lab results. I've had a lot of adrenal fatigue type symptoms. Most of those have subsided quite a bit, I'm still left with anxiety and depression. I seem to have these spells where I crash into an adrenal fatigue type of syndrome and it takes months to pull out of it. The only med I'm on now is amlodipine for high BP. Below are my lab results. Thank you for your help.

Free T3 - 3.3pg/mL range 2.3-4.2
Free T4 - 1.22ng/mL range .85-1.72
Total T3 - .68ng/mL range .6 - 1.81
TSH - 2.05uIU/mL range .35-5.5
Antithyroglobulin Ab <20IU/mL range 0-40
TPO Ab - 8IU/mL 0-34

Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
(female)

alliebeth88 HB User
Re: new guy, need help deciphering labs

Honestly, it doesn't look like your thyroid is the problem right now. Low antibodies and slightly raised TSH can be an indicator that you're going to have a problem down the line, though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
(male)

Northtexas HB User

Should I take any sort of action?

Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
(female)

alliebeth88 HB User

You could have your vitamin (B, D) and iron (ferritin) levels checked and see if those might be low. Sometimes low vitamins can present as thyroid-like symptoms.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I agree you need to watch you levels. Your TSH is outside the normal .89-1.1 optimal range for normal functions thyroid males.

You have some thyroid antibodies present. They may grow. You should check on these yearly or whenever symptoms worsen in my personal opinion.

Optimal t4/3 levels are 60-80% of normal range for most males.

How to determine where you are? There is a formula you can use. You don't need total thyroid blood tests just your TSH and free TS.

(Your number - low range limit)/(upper limit-lower limit) * 100 =. Gives your percent of normal range. This can be used for all thyroid level tests.

For your ft3 I got 52.6% of normal range. Not bad, but a smidge below the optimal range my md gave me to look for... If you have symptoms it may be a bit low for your optimal.

For your ft4 I got 39.3% of normal range. Humm,.. Tis is low and out of balance with your t3. I can believe that your cortisol levels are low normal or suboptimal with this trend. If the t3 levels get higher and your t4 levels get lower in future tests I strongly recommends looking into your adrenal function as well as the thyroid. Low t4 is often linked to the mental symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
MG

Reply Reply