It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
(male)

Garner HB User
If my labs are normal - Why do I still feel terrible?

I posted sometime ago and have recently had a follow up appointment with a new GP. I have not been diagnosed with a thyroid problem but my symptoms seem to indicate a problem. I have a deep family history of Thyroid problems – Mother, Brother, 3 aunts and 2 uncles.

Symptoms: (Been struggling with this for over 3 years)
Muscle/Joint Pain – progressively getting worse
Heat/cold intolerance
Brain Fog
Constipation
No libido
Sleep disturbances – lucking if I get 4 or 5 hours a night and then it is not a solid sleep
Dry Itchy skin
Fatigue – You would think I could sleep as exhausted as I feel but I just can’t
Can’t seem to concentrate on anything.

Labs
Standard 12/21/12 6/3/10 12/24/09 2/9/07
TSH .35-3.7 0.687 1.32 0.9 1.13
T4, FREE, .8-1.8 1.0 1.2 1.1 1.4
Thyroglobuli <20 <20
TPO ab <35 16

GP Says Thyroid is fine only need to check it yearly because of family history. Your input would be appreciated and advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
(female)

alliebeth88 HB User
Re: If my labs are normal - Why do I still feel terrible?

You should try having your vitamin and iron levels checked. Sometimes vitamin deficiency can feel similar to thyroid issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
(male)

Garner HB User

Thank you I will ask about that.

I am curious if anyone has comments on my labs.

TSH .687 (.35 - 3.7 normal range)
T4 Free 1.0 (.8 - 1.8 normal range)
Thyroglobal <20 (<20 normal range)
TPOab 16 (<35 normal range)

Thanks for your input

Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
(female)

LTLT001 HB User

I think your TSH is a little low and suggests a more "hyperthyroid" condition than "hypothyroid" which to me, is what your symptoms indicate (although you do have some hyperthyroid symptoms as well such as itching, concentration problems/nervousness, sensitivity to heat). I operate best with TSH between 1.5-1.8. But that's just me. You don't seem to have Hashimoto's or Grave's disease judging from your TPO's.

Last edited by LTLT001; 01-11-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

Have you researched Fibromyalgia or Lyme disease?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

The best thing to do with your symptoms, is to try to get a Free T-3 test done. Your Ft4 is low, your FT3 is probably low too and can cause fatigue, brain fog and muscle pain. Some docs won't run this test. If you're not making enough T-4, you don't have enough to convert to the more active T-3.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
(male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garner View Post
I posted sometime ago and have recently had a follow up appointment with a new GP. I have not been diagnosed with a thyroid problem but my symptoms seem to indicate a problem. I have a deep family history of Thyroid problems – Mother, Brother, 3 aunts and 2 uncles.

Symptoms: (Been struggling with this for over 3 years)
Muscle/Joint Pain – progressively getting worse
Heat/cold intolerance
Brain Fog
Constipation
No libido
Sleep disturbances – lucking if I get 4 or 5 hours a night and then it is not a solid sleep
Dry Itchy skin
Fatigue – You would think I could sleep as exhausted as I feel but I just can’t
Can’t seem to concentrate on anything.
I hope read this. Have you had your testosterone checked? Because all of those are also symptoms for low testosterone. Especially Muscle and Joint pain, Brain Fog, and No libido. You would think no libido would raise red flags for low T right there, but nope. I think doctors often have some sort of mental block when it comes to sexual symptoms.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

With your labs,family history and symptoms I would say try to find another doctor who will run the right tests for thyroid. It doesn't have to be an endo. They can be sometimes too strict although mine is great. She's young and very into the latest info.Sometimes if you ask pharmacists which docs prescribe Armour thyroid pills,that will give you an idea what docs would be more liberal and might treat you. Or at least run the FT3. Your tsh all over the place can be an indicator of thyroid probs too.

Reply Reply