It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

Kayte08 HB User
Thumbs down Hypothyroid??

Hi everyone
I am 22 years old and have always had an enlarged thyroid gland, making my neck look "fat"... It has never been uncomfortable though and has never bothered me. Doctors have always told me I need to monitor it by having blood tests regularly -- they have always come back within the normal ranges.
However, recently, my neck has become uncomfortable... Slightly sensitive, and when swallowing it feels as if something is "in the way". My throat also feels scratchy at times. In the past, I have suffered from some what I call "random" symptoms... And I feel as though I'm a hyperchondriac or something and that no one is taking me seriously.
I am ALWAYS tired with my mind feeling like it's in a fog, even though I get a full night's sleep. It's terrible! I also wake up feeling unrefreshed and am fatigued... I almost always need a nap in the afternoon. I would sleep all day if I could, though. I also have depression and anxiety, abnormal and horrible hair loss, strange menstrual cycles and severe cramps (sometimes a few times in 1 month), cold feet when the rest of my body is warm (?), as well as migraines. I have visited a gynecologist about the cramps, and there is no physical problem -- doctor unconcerned. I also get dry, sore and gritty eyes frequently, and have suffered from join issues resulting in surgery on my wrist and knee. Now for the past 4 days, each morning I have woken up with horrible nausea. I am NOT pregnant and there is no possibility of that, so please don't suggest it, thanks
In general I just feel down and horrible My last blood tests were in October 2012 and the doctor said that everything was fine. I've also had all vitamin and mineral levels checked, as well as blood sugar, regularly, and it's all OK. I feel like I need to get to the bottom of this because I'm just feeling horrible, but at the same time don't want to go to the doctor because I feel the symptoms I'm experiencing are so random and not serious :-/
Any suggestions/help??
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kayte08; 01-12-2013 at 12:30 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Kayte08
Mamaof4girls (01-12-2013), sophiered (01-17-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypothyroid??

Doctors are notorious when testing for thyroid disease to not order the right tests or enough of them. Even when they order the right ones, they frequently misinterpret them. The best way to know if their conclusions are right is to ask for a copy of your lab results and to learn the basics of proper interpretation.

In general - TSH above 1.5 - 2 is suspect of hypothyroidism. Combined with free T4 and/or free T3 below lab median, TPO and/or Tg antibodies, and symptoms, it's a sure bet that thyroid replacement would benefit the patient.

For screening purposes, you need both TSH testing and free T4 at the very least. Antibody and free T3 testing complete the picture. If you haven't had all these, try to get them done as your next step. If you have recent test results to share, you can post them with their lab ranges for help in interpretation.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
Kayte08 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
(female)

Kayte08 HB User

Ok I made a mistake :-/ The blood tests were done in July 2012! The doctor had my TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 tested. They all seem perfect to me!

TSH = 2.2. (Normal = 0.3 - 4.2 mIU/l)
Free T4 = 13. (Normal = 10 - 24 pmol/l)
Free T3 = 4.2. (Normal = 3.1 - 6.8 pmol/l)

Why is my thyroid enlarged and irritating me and why do I have all of these symptoms?!

Last edited by Kayte08; 01-14-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
(male)

rather HB User

Well I really do not know much about hypothyroid but you all person shared such a nice thing about it.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayte08 View Post
They all seem perfect to me!
Why is my thyroid enlarged and irritating me and why do I have all of these symptoms?!
Not "perfect" at all. They're exactly as I described below.... TSH above 2 and free Ts below median. Well below median, actually. Your FT4 is only 21% of its range and FT3, only 29%. Most people would need FT4 of at least 17 and FT3 of at least 5 (using those ranges). Many people require them to be within the upper third of the ranges to feel well. Just like a shoe size, there is only one level within the range that "fits" your needs. Almost everyone has significant symptoms when the FTs are below median... Just like they'd have sore feet if they tried to cram their size 9s into a size 7.

FT levels too low (or too high) can cause gland irritation and enlargement. It's a sure sign that your gland is overworking trying to keep up with your body's deficiency.

Doctors tend to worship labs (especially TSH) when it comes to thyroid disease. Only the really smart ones take symptoms and low free Ts into consideration. But there are good thyroid docs out there, and you'd do well to search for one. Some people have reported they found better thyroid docs by asking their local pharmacists for names of MDs who prescribe Armour or Cytomel. These MDs are generally thyroid-savvier than ones who don't prescribe these drugs.

I will say that your morning nausea may indicate some degree of adrenal fatigue that often comes with hypothyroidism. I don't know a lot about adrenal fatigue, however, except that you may need to treat it before or during any thyroid replacement you eventually get. Just so you know.

Good luck finding a thyroid-savvy doc! Let us know how it goes.

Kayte08 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
(female)

Kayte08 HB User
Smile Re: Hypothyroid??

I am so relieved... Been to the most amazing doctor today and have been diagnosed with hypo and mild insulin resistance... Started meds already this morning. I can't believe all my symptoms actually make sense and fit into a bigger picture! Having a review in a month to see how I'm doing

Thanks so much for your reply and very valuable info!! It made me stand up for myself and not just take everything that a doctor says as gospel.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh wow! That was fast! I'm so happy for you. Good luck with your treatment... Let us know how it's going.
I appreciate your letting me know I was helpful to you.

Kayte08 (01-17-2013)
Reply Reply