It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
(female)

fresnogirl HB Userfresnogirl HB User
whats considered a therapeutic dose?

I have been on 37 mcg of synthroid from 25 mcg but read somewhere that this dose is considered non therapeutic? I feel hypo still and im not sure if its because of being on too low of a dose. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: whats considered a therapeutic dose?

Fifty mcgs is the lowest true, therapeutic dose. I have a petite friend who does well on that, although she sometimes needs to increase to 75 mcgs and back to 50 again.

The average full replacement dose of levothyroxine is somewhere around 150 - 200 mcgs. For natural thyroid, full replacement for women is around 120-150 mgs. Those are just averages. Many people need smaller or larger doses than these.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
(female)

Corryn78 HB User

I have been taking 25mcg as my first dose, 8 weeks later labs show virtually no change. I will be interested to see what dose she suggests trying when I go in this week.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
(female)

thanks midwest. i am pretty petite myself. I weigh 99 lbs 5'4 asian descent. so, therefore, i dont know at this point what my optimal dose will be. it takes time. does ur friend that does well with 50mcg have hashimotos as well? i plan on getting bloodwork done next week and that will determine if i need to up my dose or not. i also am looking at armour too. those results will also determine if i should make the switch. what do u think?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corryn78 View Post
I have been taking 25mcg as my first dose, 8 weeks later labs show virtually no change. I will be interested to see what dose she suggests trying when I go in this week.
corryn, it will also depend how you feel? have u seen an improvement of symptoms?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #6
(male)

rather HB User

Yes if any improvement you got so it is good for you.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
(female)

Corryn78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnogirl View Post
corryn, it will also depend how you feel? have u seen an improvement of symptoms?
I haven't noticed any improvement. I wouldn't really know what to expect for improvements though...seems like I have felt the way I do for so long, it's just normal. I'll report back with what my Dr says after the appointment tomorrow.

Corryn

Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

She doesn't know if she has Hashi's or not. If she was ever tested for antibodies, she wouldn't have known enough to ask for results. I suspect she never was, though. But it doesn't matter. The treatment for hypoT is the same no matter what the cause. "Hashi's hypo" feels no different than congenital hypoT, surgical hypoT, or goitrogen-diet hypoT. My own holistic MD doesn't even run antibodies tests for suspected hypoT. He considers them irrelevant, because having ABs doesn't change the way the disease is treated.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
(female)

Corryn78 HB User

Dr increased my dosage to 50mcg starting today.

Reply Reply