It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
(male)

Angelus2013 HB User
Anyone else have these symptoms with Hashimoto's?

Hello everyone, I'm new here and just feel like I need to connect with some people that suffer from the same issues as me.

I'm 30 years old now, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's over 10 years ago, I was about to get married, I had just moved out of state for the first time ever, and there was a lot of stress involved. Plenty of times in my life I'd throw up or feel under the weather for no good reason, my mother has Hashimoto's disease but I never put two and two together.

I'm a man, 6'4" and around 335 pounds. After a big argument with my fiance at the time, that night I just felt awful, I had headaches, I couldn't close my eyes or go to sleep because it felt like I was falling, my heart raced and I felt terrible. After days of this, with added bouts of throwing up (On average 30 times a day). I went to the Dr. and they prescribed me Xanax and anti-depressants.

Needless to say those medications only treated my symptoms and I continued to throw up 30+ times a day and feel awful, finally my Dr. tested me for thyroid issues, but by then a lot of damage had been done. Because of all the throwing up, violent throwing up, I hurt my chest and was diagnosed with Costochondritis, my chest was very sore, my whole body was sore, neck, shoulders, arms, back, legs ect...

Being a bigger guy, when you get pain in the chest area it causes a great deal of anxiety. So I was constantly running to the ER and getting Chest X-Rays, EKG's, Stress tests and even Echo Cardio grams. All came back fine every single time. I was on Xanax and that helped a lot, but whenever the sun went down, I started to panic quite often.

It's been years and the disease cost me a marriage and basically 10 years of my life. I can tell when my meds are a bit off because I get these flare ups where my chest, neck, shoulders all bother me and hurt to touch.

I've been on 15, 30, 45, 90, 120, 160, 190, 200, 210, 230 and 240 mg of Armour Thyroid throughout those years, currently they cut it back to 195.

I still suffer from depression, anxiety and random muscle aches and twitches/pain. I constantly check my pulse, and when the sun sets, I tend to feel a million times worse. This disease makes it very hard to be social or even work effectively.

So I guess my question would be if anyone else has had these issues? Specifically the chest soreness and dread/anxiety feelings? I also of course have trouble sleeping, yet I'm pretty much always tired and sore. I feel like my life is not my own.

Any help would be grateful and appreciated. Sometimes it helps to know you aren't alone.

Thank you for any replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Anyone else have these symptoms with Hashimoto's?

I'm sorry you're struggling like this.

Do you have any recent labsresults? if so please feel free to share. the goal is not to have normal (aka within ranges) labs but optimal labs (or as optimal possible). if levels are optimalized a person should not have thyroid related symptoms

hang in there

Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
(male)

Angelus2013 HB User

I will post the latest ones when I get them back, the problem is I don't think they are testing T3 or T4 levels, just my TSH, which is why they keep messing with my dose, yet I feel pretty terrible. Most days I feel like I was hit by a truck, just stiff and sore, then as the day drags on it gets worse.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

I'm sorry you're feeling that poorly.

is there a way to have your FT4 and FT3 tested too? (if need be at own expense or at another doctor?) I don't know how things work over there in that regard, but you wont get your levels optimalised without those.
TSH alone does not give sufficient information, even more so since the intake of T3 (armour contains both) is a known TSH suppressant.
a disbalance between FT4 and FT3 which is not uncommon with Armour, can cause symptoms too.
point is I really think you need those in order to know where you're add and make the proper dosing adjustments.
Symptoms can be deceiving to go by.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
(male)

Angelus2013 HB User

I will have to check and see if they can add those tests to my work up. The main problem is that I cant afford a proper Endocrinologist, I go to a low cost doctor and she tends to go off strictly my TSH. They see a bigger guy with a rare disease for men and they tend to focus on other things. My overall Cholesterol is only 98, which astounds her greatly because she assumes that I must eat poorly and not exercise.

When I get my full work up back I'll post about it, but I feel like after all these years I'm still very ignorant on the disease. I also have developed lactose intolerance since my diagnosis. I also have been suspecting that I might have Fibromyalgia due to my Hashimoto's disease. A lot of those symptoms seem to make sense.

Another problem I have is that I am fearful of doctors and I'm kind of afraid to speak up for myself. This hampers learning about my disease and even though we live in an age of the internet, I've not been able to find conclusive help on my condition because so much of the information is varied from person to person. I have never even had a sonogram of my throat since my original diagnosis....

I appreciate all the ideas though, I'll definitely keep everyone up to date on my results.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
(female)

mayfliesmayfly HB Usermayfliesmayfly HB User

I understand what you mean about being afraid of speaking up to a doctor. That has always been a huge issue for me. However, recently I went to a doctor and I felt like I was able to talk with him. As soon as I went to an endo, she had that same "I'm the doctor and I'm right attitude" and I shut down again. So I think finding the right doctor is important.

I've also found that medical journals are a good place to look for information. The information you find there will help you feel a little more empowered, since you know that it is trusted information, and your doctor can't give you the whole "the internet is full of bad information" speech.

Also, come in fully prepared. I've been going in with a list full of symptoms and any information I want them to know before hand so they HAVE to look at it even if I don't get the chance to tell them. I'm seeing a new doctor this week and I'm going to go in with a list of tests that I want. And I'll be bringing him articles I've found supporting my beliefs.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
(male)

Angelus2013 HB User

I guess they didn't even run a T3 or T4, I start to gradually feel a bit better over the last couple of days, then I am sitting at the computer and I get a slight pain in my chest, nothing I haven't had before, but it just puts me into full panic mode.

I am just sick of being sick, tired of being scared and I just think I'd be better off with just about any other disease because this one is so frustrating, and nobody else seems to have the same chest issues as me, a lot of the other things I can deal with, but even after a ton of heart check ups, I still have severe panic attacks when I get a pain from the Costochondritis, at least that is what it was diagnosed as years ago. The thing is, I'm constantly aware of my chest and just wait for there to be pain, I expect it and when I get a little twinge, which isn't a deep pain, and a lot of the time I'll get the pain if I slouch or bend a certain way.....

When I originally got it my doctor told me to try playing video games to keep my mind off it or to try and keep busy, and I try that and it works from time to time, but it's just so frustrating and depressing and I literally am angry and sad at the same time.....my life is slowly wasting away and I'm not able to do little things and if I'm honest it's because of this one symptom. I can take just about all the other ones.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

So sorry you are struggling. Before I was diagnosed I had severe chest pains, and numbness/tingling in my left arm. And ANXIETY is a big hypo symptom for me. I truly thought I was dying. Thyroid meds helped. Still ended up in the ER with chest pains. Found out I had acid reflux, and meds helped that too. I also found out my B12 was low and supplementing helped the tingling extremeties.

I understand financial issues but I do believe this is something you need to spend money on. Find out if your Free Ts are where they need to be. It might help if you could talk to a therapist about the anxiety. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
(male)

Angelus2013 HB User

Maybe some B12 would be helpful? I often have random muscle twitches and even my eye twitches from time to time. Both of those things are also symptoms....ughh

Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
(female)

mayfliesmayfly HB Usermayfliesmayfly HB User

As someone who's been feeling horrible for years and working on getting a proper diagnosis, it's like you're repeating me. I know how frustrating it is, and I find myself switching between anger and sadness. I'm upset that I've had to deal with this for years, and that I still am.

I'm trying my best to take my fate out of the hands of my doctors and into my own. I am still working on trying to get treated, but in the meantime I am doing all the research I can on what changes I can make. I literally spent hours and hours researching. Diet is a huge factor and something I am trying to change. I've given up gluten, and going to be giving up sugar and coffee completely (just been limiting it before). And if that doesn't help, I'll cut even more out until I can find something that makes me feel better.

Have you heard about the benefits of Paleo or Autoimmune Protocol diets for those with autoimmune issues? Cooking has been a good stress relief for me since changing my diet. It's exciting because I'm becoming proactive in my health and getting to experiment and experience food differently.

Reply Reply