It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

mygizzy HB User
Tirosint - Can I take it with anything other than water?

Hello All,

It's been awhile since I have posted so I will give a brief history. After being diagnosed with Graves in 2008 and taking Methimazole for it, one day I needed my script refilled. So, I called doc, he wanted bloodwork, had that done only to find out that my labs were normal and he wouldn't give me any more even though I had symptoms returning. Long story short, I suffered symptoms for quite some time, labs were "normal" until going to a new doc that someone referred me to. I was at my wits end with my symptoms. Within the past several months they had gotten worse. The horrible new symptom was hair loss! I have always had thick long hair and for it to fall out in clumps, along with theunexplained weight gain, extreme fatigue, brain fog, .. was scary! Well doc examined me and said my thyroid "burned itself out", that happens with Graves patients. With my TSH being 4.33 out of 4.50.... and my antibodies being 535, he said Im Hypo and put me on Synthyroid. I could have kissed that man! I was so depressed having to deal with those symptoms and not one doc would help me. Anyway... first day on Synthyroid I became itchy like crazy.. for 12 hours...lol. Yep.. I have a system that is allergic to alot of things so he switched me to Tirosint. Said people are allergic to the fillers in Synthyroid. My question is.. I know you are supposed to take the meds with a full glass of water but... whether its warm or cold.. water that early in the morning makes me feel sick and my insides ache. Yes I know that sounds strange but its a struggle for me to drink water in the morning. Most of the time Im not thirsty during the day so I have to force myself to drink it. Is there anything else that I can drink with my meds in the morning? I drink decaf hot tea, can I do that? I read that coffee drinkers shouldnt have coffee for about 4 hours after taking the meds because it interfers with the absorbtion of the med. Has anyone taken anything other than water with their meds?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Tirosint - Can I take it with anything other than water?

I don't take any instructions too literally-----for example I just take the tiniest sip of water with my synthroid and don't seem to have any issues------coffee is usually an issue because people tend to add milk (calcium and synthroid together are not a great idea) and it's caffeine that also can hurt the synthroid absorption.

The tirosent is supposedly going to be absorbed very quickly into your body(no fillers)---a decaf tea without milk, might be fine, you should try it and see if it makes a difference---or just take it with the tiniest drop of any liquid and it should be fine too.

Reply Reply