It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
(female)

nightangel1 HB User
Question Hi....

Hi my name is Donna. I have a question about Thyroid antibodies......

My daughter is 17 y/o and had blood work about a year ago which came up that even tho her Thyroid was working 'within normal limits' her Thyroid antibodies were 281 and she tested positive for Lupus. Unfortunately after the test I had to go in for a double bypass so her diagnoses went undone. After my recovery she came to me and told me that she was starting to have hallucinations. We went to a Psychiatrist and she was diagnosed with Bipolar and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. This was in June....it is now January and the poor girl has had 4 hospital stays. She is also cutting and the hallucinations are audio, visual and sometimes tactical. Finally found an Endocrinologist that takes our insurance but she's in the hospital again and I think that it's going to be for a while. The doctor there did a Thyroid panel but not the antibody count. (Her PCP is also going to test her for PCOS and Rheumatoid Arthritis.)

My question is, can a lot of her mental problems be stemming from her physical problems? Any info on this would greatly be appreciated. It's killing me seeing her go thru this. I'll be able to start her with testing and the doctors when she gets out of the hospital but I'm afraid that she won't get out until she gets treated.

Thank you again.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-13-2013 at 09:20 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: nightangel1
lisa789 (01-14-2013), mayfliesmayfly (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
(female)

mayfliesmayfly HB Usermayfliesmayfly HB User
Re: Hi....

I don't know anything about this really, but I did a google search and here's what I found. It is very, very rare, but does happen. If it turns out that her antibodies are attacking her brain, then that would be the reason for her issues.
Some info:
"Some of the most common symptoms of Hashimoto's Encephalopathy include: disorientation, psychosis, tremors, concentration and memory problems, jerks in the muscles and lack of coordination, headaches, partial paralysis on the right side, and speech problems. Sometimes, patients are mistakenly diagnosed as having had a stroke, or having Alzeimer's. Typically, Hashimoto's antibodies levels will be high, and the patient may also have a diagnosable case of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, but TSH levels may also be normal.

The condition can also appear in adolescents, but is even more likely to be overlooked. The symptoms in adolescents, unlike adults, frequently include seizures, confusion and hallucinations. A drop in school performance is also a common symptom, along with progressive cognitive decline. Thyroid autoantibody levels should be evaluated in these adolescents with these symptoms, even when thyroid function tests are normal. (Distinct Pediatric Manifestations of Hashimoto's Encephalopathy Described)"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You must immediately ask your daughter's doctor(s) about the possibility of Hashimoto's encepholapathy. It's a disorder associated with TPO antibodies that attack the brain neurons. Thyroid levels won't necessarily be abnormal, but often are. Subclinical or clinical thyroid disease may or may not be present with HE.

It's considered a "rare" disease in the medical books; but experts on the disorder know that it often goes undiagnosed and is more common than once thought. The typical age of onset is 50+, but it has been seen in teens as well.

It isn't curable but can be controlled with an appropriate dose of steroid medicine.

This possibility is the one I'd pursue first and foremost if I were you. Sending my most positive thoughts to you both that you'll be able to figure this out and she'll recover soon.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

let me start by wishing you both the strenght you need. I'm sorry she's going through this.

I second what is said above.
Next to that (hallucinations indeed make me think of the above mentioned, that's another story).
The bipolar and anxiety alone is not uncommonly seen in hypot. (well according to an alternative doctor I go to she said that in case of bipolar thyroid should be checked.)

the fact that she did have thyroid antibodies is at least an indication to have that completely checked out.

other then that I have nothing useful to add but do want to sincerely wish you both the best.

Reply Reply