It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
(female)

mudskipper HB User
Frustrating...

Had a blood test last week - just called for the result.

"Normal".

On pressing, I'm told TSH is 3, but because it's normal the lab didn't test FT4.

I've been on medication for 12 weeks now - 25mcg for 6 weeks, then 50 for 6 weeks, but really not feeling any better - if anything I feel more tired.

I'm seeing a different GP on Wednesday, so hoping she'll be persuaded to try and increase in dosage before we write it off as not being due to my thyroid.

Feeling very down about the whole thing - I was so convinced that my symptoms were thyroid related, but haven't seen any real improvement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
(female)

Corryn78 HB User
Re: Frustrating...

My TSH came back just under 3, and my Dr said new research is showing that 1 or even lower can give optimal results. She also tests FT3, FT4 and antibodies (this was +, I just don't know the exact number), so based on that she started treatment.

Guess my point is, if you don't feel better, find a Dr that is willing to treat your symptoms and not the numbers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

mayfliesmayfly HB Usermayfliesmayfly HB User

It is super frustrating! My TSH was at 2 last time they tested, but my FT4 is at the bottom cut off of the range and the endo basically told me it didn't matter.

Make sure you go in prepared, too.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
(female)

mudskipper HB User

Thank you. I have printed off stuff that confirms that the upper end of the range is likely to be changed to 2.5, and the chart that shows the median as less than 1.5, so will argue for an increased dosage based on these. I'm seeing a different GP, so maybe she'll be more open to flexibility on the numbers.

The following user gives a hug of support to mudskipper:
Corryn78 (01-15-2013)
Reply Reply